Campus, City, News

Body found in Charles River by BU rowing coach

Massachusetts State Police officers recovered the body of an unidentified male from the Charles River Wednesday morning after a Boston University rowing coach reported it, officials said.

The body was found floating near the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge at about 8 a.m. and has yet to be identified, said MSP Trooper Thomas Murphy.

Suffolk County District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said a BU coach discovered the body in the water and notified officials.

MSP Marine Unit officers arrived on scene near the bridge and recovered the body from the water.

“Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Marine Unit, Troop H and the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit responded to the scene and recovered the remains of an adult male,” Wark said in an email statement. “The man’s age and identity have not yet been determined, but the preliminary evidence suggests that it is not that of the missing Brown University student about whom some of you have asked.”

The disappearance of Brown University student Sunil Tripathi, a former Class of 2012 member on academic leave who went missing March 15, is still under investigation. Since he disappeared, police have expanded their search past Providence to the Boston, Connecticut and New York areas, according to several news outlets.

Wark said the cause of death of the male pulled from the river Wednesday was not apparent. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy.

MSP officials and the Suffolk DA’s office will conduct an investigation, according to an MSP follow-up tweet from 11:33 a.m.

No further details were immediately available.

The body recovered Wednesday was the second body during the 2012-2013 academic school year discovered by BU rowing team staff members, and the third body found in the river near BU’s Charles River Campus within the same timeframe.

On Oct. 8, a body was found and later identified as that of Pedro Colon Rodriguez, a 69-year-old homeless man from Cambridge. Several news outlets reported his death was caused by extreme intoxication, as he fell into the Charles River and drowned. His body was pulled from the river near the BU boathouse.

A day later, a BU rowing coach reported the finding of another body in the Charles River, later determined to be that of Jonathan Dailey, a 23-year-old Boston Architectural School graduate student who had gone missing.

Both bodies were found near the BU Bridge.

1. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve
    worked hard on. Any recommendations?

2. Work on your headlines… MY GOD. at a quick glance you make it seem like the body found was the rowing coach. Do you not see that? Do we need to know in the HEADLINE that the rowing coach found a body? NO, simple F”ing journalism tells you no. The quality of this paper is nothing anymore.