EDIT: Medical amnesty for all, or some

The formation of a new student group on campus advocating for a strong medical amnesty policy has so far attracted little response from the Boston University administration. The group’s goal is to have BU articulate a policy that would allow students to request medical assistance for others without facing repercussions due to drug and alcohol violations.

BU’s existing phrasing of the policy is vague, saying that violations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and that students are responsible for their actions. While the case-by-case strategy is better than having a simple lack of medical amnesty that would not take specifics of the situation into account, it is still not enough.

A clearly articulated medical amnesty policy is something that is desperately needed at BU. Many other schools have implemented similar systems in an effort to encourage students to come forward in potentially dangerous situations. If students fear that they will lose scholarships or housing for alcohol and drug violations, they will be reluctant to call for help when it is needed. The confusion surrounding the existing policy itself discourages students from reaching out when medical help is needed.

Although implementing a medical amnesty policy is critically important, there are several other steps that could be taken on the way to getting there. The university could easily promote student awareness about the issue by making bystander training and alcohol courses a required part of orientation.

Instead of warning incoming freshmen about the dangers of crossing the T tracks, the administration could present sessions on what to do in emergency situations involving drugs and alcohol, and could stress that students will not risk their academic standing by helping a friend in need. Many colleges require students to take an online alcohol education course before matriculating. Although many students roll their eyes at this sort of requirement, it is a simple and effective way of bringing attention to the issue.

We hope that when a student’s life is on the line, those around them will have the responsibility and courage to do the right thing and call for help, rather than thinking first and foremost about their own self-interest. But BU could greatly increase the chances of this by offering amnesty to students in these situations. Rather than ignoring the issue, the administration should take student opinion into account in the creation of a new policy.