Film & TV, The Muse, Weeklies

REVIEW: Eternal Themes in Prehistoric The Croods

Photo Courtesy of DreamWorks Animations
Photo Courtesy of DreamWorks Animations

DreamWorks’ latest animated film, The Croods, combines prehistoric adventure and quirky humor in a creation reminiscent of the Ice Age series.

The movie features a family of cave people who, after being warned of an imminent apocalypse, are forced to venture outside the walls of their cave in search of safety. However, the Croods instead find themselves both fearful and mystified by the wonders of their archaic world after dark.

Several stars voice the film’s characters, including Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds and — oddly enough — Nicholas Cage. Cage takes on the role of the classic overprotecting father Grug and Stone plays his headstrong daughter Eep, who physically resembles Stone with her untamed red hair and freckles. Other members of the Crood family include a clumsy younger brother, a vicious mother-in-law, and a literal “wild child” baby sister.

While Grug wants nothing more than to keep his family safe within the confines of the cave, Eep desires freedom desperately. When she meets Guy (Reynolds), a tall, dark and handsome nomad, she’s fascinated by his ability to produce something called fire that she can compare only to the warmth of the sun. Guy explains to Eep that he is seeking refuge in faraway lands from the approaching end of the world. Fascinated by his sophistication and no doubt his good looks, Eep persuades her family to join Guy in his journey despite Grug’s protests.

The movie progresses at a reasonable pace with just enough action to keep viewers’ interest, beginning with an exciting family hunting scene. The humor comes mostly from interactions between its classically quirky characters. While Eep is awestruck by Guy’s novel ideas, like shoes and fire, Guy is equally fascinated by the crudeness of the Crood family, marveling at their primitive way of life. The building relationship between Guy and Eep fosters an unconventional chemistry onscreen.

And the film’s prehistoric setting will keep the audience interested in case the humor doesn’t. The scenery makes for one of the film’s most interesting aspects, making room for primeval man-eating plants and exotic, ancient beasts.  Guy leads the Croods through miles of unchartered territory, including sandy deserts left over from evaporated oceans and vast tropical forests. The family’s voyage is a scenic one.

From the comical drone of family bickering, audiences understand the filmmakers’ message: Embrace the new. As such, The Croods explores an age-old subject — a story of family and moving on — but with its original setting, the film provides a few unexpected twists and turns. The Croods is both heartwarming and hilarious, an animated comedy for kids, parents and everyone in between.