Crew & Rowing, Sports, Tennis

Men’s tennis takes care of CHC squad

While a majority of Boston University teams are making the jump from the America East to the Patriot League next year, the BU men’s tennis team faced off against current Patriot League member College of the Holy Cross Tuesday afternoon, defeating the Crusaders by a score of 7-0.

The victory was the Terriers’ (6-3) fourth sweep of the season. BU has already swept Sacred Heart University, Quinnipiac University and Merrimack College on the year.

The Terriers won all three of their doubles matches to capture the first point of the matchup against the Crusaders (0-7).

In the No. 1 doubles game, senior Josh Friedman and sophomore Chanon Varapongsittikul teamed up to defeat Holy Cross sophomore Nick Berrettini and junior Ryan Sullivan, 8-5.

Senior Michael Kopelman and freshman Stefan Lemire were even more impressive in their doubles match, routing freshman Rich DeGregoris and junior Chris Brosnan by a score of 8-0.

In the final doubles match of the game, seniors Marcus Vanberkel and Alex Hallenbeck took down senior Scot Brownell and junior Connor McCann to secure the doubles point for the Terriers.

The Terriers’ dominance on the day extended to singles play, as BU took all six singles points against its new conference opponent.

Junior Jesse Frieder played well in his first No.1 start of the season, only dropping two games to Berrettini to win the opening singles match, 6-2, 6-0. Last season, Frieder went 1-2 at No. 1.

Sophomore Emilio Teran was also impressive in the No. 2 singles match, only losing four games to defeat Sullivan, 6-1, 6-3. Kopelman secured the victory in the No. 3 match, beating McCann by a score of 6-1, 6-4.

The No. 4/No. 5 matches were a breeze for the Terriers, as Hallenbeck and freshman Eric Miller each soundly bested their opponents by a score of 6-0.

The final singles match of the day was easily the most dramatic, as freshman Brandon Phan responded from being a set down to gain the 4-6, 6-1, 10-4 victory to complete the sweep against the Crusaders.

Out of the nine matches between the Terriers and Crusaders, BU won five games in straight sets.

The Terriers will next travel to Providence, R.I., to take on the Brown University Brown Bears, the first of a five-meet road trip. The Terriers will not play a game at the Track and Tennis Center for almost a month, as their next home meet is against the University of Hartford April 21.

Women’s Rowing Beanpot Moved To April

The women’s rowing Beanpot, an annual race between Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern University, Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has been postponed due to inclement weather.

The race, which was scheduled to take place March 23, has been moved to April 28.

The Boston University women’s rowing team will continue its schedule March 30, when the Terriers will take on Syracuse University for the Kittell Cup at the DeWolfe Boathouse.

Last year, the Terriers defeated the Orange by 1.6 seconds to win their fourth Kittell Cup in five years.

The Terriers are coming off of a tough performance on March 16 at the Clemson Regatta in South Carolina. BU finished the race with two fourth-place finishes, a third-place finish and a fifth-place finish against Clemson University, Syracuse, Indiana University and Purdue University.

Syracuse’s last appearance was also at the Clemson Regatta, where the Orange put together a good showing, winning one race and finishing with three second-place finishes.

Immediately after the Kittell Cup Saturday, the Terriers will dedicate two new Resolute Racing shells to the 1974 national champion lightweight crew and BU supporter Elliot Driben.