Women’s soccer holds off Dayton in first game of 2013

The Boston University women’s soccer team opened up its season playing against the University of Dayton at Nickerson Field Friday night. In BU’s first game as a member of the Patriot League, the Terriers won by a score of 1-0 over the Flyers.

Dayton (0-1) looked to gain command of the game early with a corner in the eighth minute from midfielder Haley Keller and a shot in the 12th minute by Ashley Campbell but neither chance came to avail for the Flyers.

The Flyers followed with two more chances with shots in the 19th and 23rd minutes, but both shots went wide for the Dayton offense.

After a myriad of chances from the Flyers, the Terriers (1-0) looked to get their offense working when senior forward Madison Clemens took their first shot but it was blocked by the Dayton defense. Two minutes later in the 26th minute, senior midfielder Emma Clark got another shot off for the Terriers but that went wide of Dayton goalkeeper Elizabeth James.

In the 29th minute the Terriers seized control of the game when sophomore forward Jenna Fisher notched the first goal of the season on an assist from junior forward Taylor Krebs.

The Terriers looked to add to the lead on another shot by Clark but that went high of the goal.

A little over a minute after Clark’s second missed opportunity, Dayton looked poised to put a tally on the scoreboard. Midfielder Nicole Waters took a shot on goal, but senior goalkeeper Andrea Green was up for the challenge, and made the first save between either keeper in the game.

Green went on to make two more saves for the Terriers in the first half, one in the 40th and 45th minutes, keeping the BU lead intact heading into the break.

The Flyers’ momentum at the end of the first half looked to carry over into the second as they got a chance only three minutes into the period. Forward Stephanie Emery put one towards the net but it went wide of Green.

BU followed the Dayton chances with two of its own in the 54th and 56th minutes from Clemens and Clark, but neither went on net.

While the Flyers had six shots in the first half, a stout Terrier defense held them to only two in the second half. After a shot three minutes into the second period, their second chance of the half did not come until a header chance from Waters in the 80th minute, which went wide.

Despite a plethora of chances, including two corner kicks, the Terriers could not add to their slim 1-0 lead. In the 89th minute freshman Erica Kosienski looked to give BU some insurance but her first shot at the collegiate level went high over the goal.

Even with the missed chances the defense held tight, and BU edged Dayton in the first contest of the season. The Terriers will next head across town August 25 to face Boston College.