NCAA, Sports

Patriot League overview: Lehigh University

Nickname: Mountain Hawks

Colors: Brown and white

One of the most dominant programs in the Patriot League, Lehigh softball finished 37-16-1 overall and 17-3 in the Patriot League. Despite their strong regular season, the Mountain Hawks were swept in two games by the United States Military Academy in the Patriot League Championship.

Sophomore Morgan Decker had a tremendous freshman campaign, compiling a .415 batting average, .545 on-base percentage, a .711 slugging percentage, nine homers and 46 RBIs. All of those numbers led the Mountain Hawks.

Infielder Cassie Waggy returns to the dirt, looking to surpass her 2013 season. Last season she posted a .265 batting average, 15 extra base hits and 26 RBIs. With strong seniors graduating, expect her to have an increased role in the lineup.

The Mountain Hawk men’s lacrosse team is seeking to reclaim its title as Patriot League Champion in 2014.  In 2013, the team posted 12-5 record overall and a 6-0 in the conference. With a plethora of talented seniors having graduated after the 2013 season, junior Patrick Corbett will be the team’s leading offensive threat. He will look to top his previous season’s total of 23 goals and three assists. Midfielder Kurtis Kaunas will see extended playing time after only starting six games in 2013. Last year he had eight goals and 10 assists.

A perennial threat in the Patriot League, Lehigh men’s basketball looks to return to the form they had last season where they won 21 games and finished third in the Patriot League. Although they are losing NBA lottery draft pick C.J. McCollum, the Mountain Hawks are primed to make another push at the league title. Senior Mackey McKnight returns to the backcourt this year, looking to repeat his 11.9 points per game and .429 shooting percentage of last season. He led the team with 153 assists and also snagged 3.6 rebounds per game last year. Fellow guard Anthony D’Orazio will step in with McKnight with the seniors leaving. Last year D’Orazio averaged 6.4 points a contest as well as dishing out 45 assists throughout the year. Despite a talented group leaving, a young core looks primed to win again.