NCAA, Sports

Patriot League overview: United States Military Academy (Army)

Nickname: Black Knights

Colors: Black, gray and gold

The United States Military Academy not only trains officers for the armed service, but it also holds a strong athletic program in the Patriot League.

The Army Black Knights have a solid and established men’s lacrosse program that finished 8-6 last season. Midfielder John Glesener returns after a solid first season. In just 14 games he posted a team-leading 61 points, 31 goals and 30 assists. He is supported by attack Garret Thul who was second on the team with 46 points but led the Black Knights with 41 goals. Brendan Buckley helps keep the defensive cohesive and allows for some balance on the field. Both Thul and Buckley made the initial cuts for the United States National Team this season.

Last year’s women’s basketball Patriot League regular season champion looks to have another solid year in the conference and bounce back after being eliminated in the first round of the conference tournament. Last season, as the No. 1 seed in the postseason tournament, the Black Knights fell to No. 8 seed Colgate University.

Guard Jen Hazlett looks to finish off her career at the Academy with another strong showing. Last year she averaged 9.7 points a contest, with a .364 field goal percentage and a .363 percentage behind the 3-point arc, one of the highest in the conference.

Guard Kelsey Minato is set to play in the backcourt with Hazlett. Minato finished a strong freshman season with the accolades of both Rookie and Player of the Year in the Patriot League. Her 12.8 points per game were good for second on the squad. Her skill set also allows her to excel in the deep game, as she also had a .379 3-point percentage. With such numbers in her rookie season, she should only get better in her second season with Army.