Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse finalizes 2014 42-man roster

The Boston University men’s lacrosse team released its final 42-man roster for the 2014 season Wednesday. In addition to the original 34 members announced in July, nine newcomers have been added to the list, including three transfers, one walk-on and five members from the BU club team.

A trio of midfielders transfers to BU, including sophomore Jack Cruzan from Providence College, who appeared in five games and recorded two shots for the Friars. Redshirt freshman Patrick Donnelly will join the Terriers from Penn State University, while sophomore Alex Paroda transfers from Mount St. Mary’s College. Paroda had one goal in six games for the Mountaineers.

Freshman defenseman Hunter Stein joins the team as the sole rookie walk-on. Stein played two seasons on the varsity lacrosse team at Syosset High School in Syosset, N.Y.

Five former club members also made the team as walk-ons. Junior defenseman Evan Herron played two seasons on the Terrier club team, with an assist and five ground balls during the 2013 season. Senior goalkeeper Kyle Lange, who was captain and president of the club team, also made the varsity squad.

Junior midfielder Alex Nicolaou had 24 goals and 12 assists for the club team last season. Senior defenseman Emerson Rogers totaled 34 points, including 21 goals, in three years on the BU club team. Senior midfielder Brad Sauln won 51 faceoffs and had seven goals and six assists last season.

These new additions to the roster complement 31 true freshmen and three other transfers that were announced in July. The 42 lacrosse players will take the field under the direction of BU coach Ryan Polley, who will serve as head coach after 11 years of coaching experience at Yale University and Merrimack College.

The new players will see their first action as they play in a fall exhibition games. BU will take part in the Northeast Classic in Braintree Oct. 13 and will host Team England Oct. 23 at Nickerson Field.