EDIT: What does Ylvis say?

If you want to get famous quickly, you have to be absurd. “What Does the Fox Say” spread throughout Facebook newsfeeds and the Twittersphere faster than open letters to Miley Cyrus. The Ylvis crew has come together with their latest, and possibly most confusing viral music video yet: “Massachusetts.”

The Norwegian comedy group road trips around Massachusetts and sings about its glory, splendor and social openness through a pretty strange, and distinctly foreign point of view. While rattling off facts about the state, such as how large it is and when the Pilgrims landed, the group starts to narrow down on the types of people that live there.

“Just because you’re kissin’ a man doesn’t make you gay/ confused,” one sings. Then a chorus of African-American singers joins in. Then a group of blonde cheerleaders misspell Massachusetts. Is it ignorant and stereotypical, or is it funny?

First of all, the video makes absolutely no sense. Every couple of bars the style of music changes, Ylvis meets incredibly random people, and for some reason the production quality is excellent. The video first shocks you, because the singing is actually in tune. They also had the money to fly over to Boston and film. Ylvis may be strange, but they’re professional.

All they’re doing is playing to the stereotypes those outside of America have of the people in Massachusetts — and the U.S., for that matter. It seems as if they see the state as a melting pot of all sorts of backgrounds, so from that standpoint, they did attempted to incorporate some sort of diversity, though most of the varied groups represented are stereotypes and caricatures.

As for the lyrics about toeing the thin line between friends and boyfriends, Ylvis does not outwardly insult queer people. Massachusetts is the hub of the liberal northeast of the U.S. This is the first state in the union to legalize gay marriage, and Norway was the sixth country in the world to legalize gay marriage back in 2009. In other Ylvis comedy videos, it becomes apparent that they’re comfortable with each other and their sexualities.

Obviously their emphasis on how most people in Massachusetts are gay is not true, but in the end, it’s a parody. They have this perspective of the U.S. because they probably know about as much about the U.S. as Americans know about Norway. Culturally, both places are different, and with that come complete misunderstandings.

Ylvis is also all about comedy. When comedy travels overseas, some of the humor is lost. Look at the Legally Blonde Broadway Show. Writers had to change some of the crude American jokes to appeal to U.K. audiences who love slapstick humor.

In the end, the video is confusingly absurd and silly, and that’s probably why so many people enjoy it. With cheerleaders spelling “Makakoko” instead of Massachusetts, you can’t help but laugh. Although Ylvis put too much effort into making a homoerotic storyline in the song, they don’t do it maliciously, and it doesn’t deserve to be given attention.

1. It feels like Ylvis is being over-analyzed. This is probably inevitable since american audiences do not have the frame of reference needed. Some background about Ylvis first; They are a comedy group, and have a late-night talkshow in Norway that resembles Fallon, but with even more comedic skits. Their music videos, including the Fox and Massachusetts are simply segments shot for that show. Also, Massachusetts was shot BEFORE the Fox got released.

Now, the back-story for the Massachusetts video is as follows; They are asked “what do you do to relax and get away”. They explain that they go on a guy-trip to Massachusetts, “The best place on Earth”, to de-stress, away from wives and family. In the beginning of the video, they highlight the “postcard image” of their trip. As the song goes on, you realize they don’t know all that much about the state (like most tourists), and then it becomes a bit gay, which escalates. The whole joke is that their “relaxing” vacations in Massachusetts is really just an excuse to live out their gay fantasies. Honestly, they could have chosen any other city/state for the joke. Possibly they have some positive impression of the state and chose it because of it, or maybe they simply chose it because it is easy to mess with the pronunciation of the name.

For those that think it is unnecessary with this kind of language, keep in mind it is meant primarily for adults, just like “D!ck in a box” was made for SNL. In Norway there is no censoring of language or nudity, and when done in English it really doesn’t feel that “dirty” either.

2. I wish I read this when it was first published but still wanted to say thanks for writing a fairly precise description of this video.

I did the casting and locations and worked with the director via phone and email from Massachusetts to Norway for a week before they arrived.

We had a blast shooting this video!

You and Tom hit it on the head – absurdity!!

It is all supposed to be nothing but silly!!!

Thanks,
    Jodi Purdy
    339-499-8047