Dominique Badji, Ali Sozeri score as Terriers contain Colgate

MICHELLE JAY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF Senior forward Ali Sozeri netted a goal in BU’s 3-0 victory over Colgate Wednesday night.
MICHELLE JAY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Senior forward Ali Sozeri netted a goal in BU’s 3-0 victory over Colgate Wednesday night.

Wednesday night, the Boston University men’s soccer team traveled to Hamilton, NY., to take on Colgate University in a conference battle. With the help of two goals in the opening minutes, the Terriers came away with a 3-0 victory over the Raiders.

Just two minutes into the contest, the Terriers (6-8-1, 3-4-1 Patriot League) were on the attack and took advantage of an early opportunity. The Raiders (3-12-2, 2-4-1 Patriot League) were called for a foul inside the 18-yard box, giving BU a penalty kick. Junior forward Dominque Badji took the shot for BU and put it past the reach of goalkeeper Ricky Brown, giving the Terriers a 1-0 lead. The goal was Badji’s second successfully converted penalty kick of the season.

A minute later the Terriers, still on the attack, nearly put a second one in when senior midfielder Anthony Ciccone took a shot that went just wide of goal. Although Ciccone was unsuccessful on this attempt, he was not deterred and set up another chance just minutes later.

Ciccone took the ball up the left side of the pitch and crossed the ball into the 18-yard  box. Senior forward Ali Sozeri was in the box for the Terriers, leaped high over the Raiders’ defense and flicked the ball with his head into the net for BU’s second goal of the evening.

Down two goals early, the Raiders attempted to control the ball and get even on the scoreboard. Freshman Ethan Kutler garnered two scoring chances, as well as a corner kick in a short five-minute span between the 18th and 22nd minutes. Although the Raiders had solid chances, redshirt freshman goalkeeper Matt Gilbert stopped both shots and the Terriers’ defense cleared the corner away from danger to preserve the lead.

For the rest of the half, neither team could control possession of the ball or get quality scoring opportunities. As the half came to an end, the Terriers held on to their 2-0 lead. Although BU was outshot by Colgate 6-4, Gilbert held strong and made three saves in the frame.

The Terriers came out in the second half and looked to add to their solid lead. Just two minutes into the second half, the Terriers extended their lead. Senior midfielder Fannar Arnarsson took the ball up the field and set up Badji for another chance. Badji converted, as he put the ball past Brown for his second goal of the contest. This is Badji’s first career multi-goal game in his collegiate career.

In the 52nd minute, Badji looked to get his first-ever hat trick as he put a shot towards goal. This time, Brown made the save, keeping the Terrier lead at 3-0.

Falling behind 3-0, the Raiders looked to cut into the Terrier lead, as they took eight shots in the period and got four on net. While Colgate had a plethora of opportunities to score, Gilbert stood tall and stopped all four shots on net.

Despite getting outshot 14-8 and falling behind in corners 7-4, the Terriers hung on for a 3-0 win with the strong play of Badji and Gilbert. The Terriers will next head to Washington D.C., for a showdown with American University Saturday afternoon.