Field Hockey, Sports

Seniors provide guidance for playoff-bound BU field hockey team

In its final regular season game of the season at New Balance Field, the Boston University field hockey team honored the contributions of an exceptional senior class.

Backer Ysi Schieb, forwards Dana Centofanti, Nell Burdis and Ally Alonso and midfielders Madeline Hackett, Anne Fruitema, Caitlin Toomey and Amira Downes each received a bouquet of roses before the game at midfield. BU (12-6, 5-1 Patriot League) went on to earn a 2-0 victory over Patriot League opponent Lafayette College, adding icing on the cake for Senior Day.

“I’m really happy for our seniors to get this victory on this field today,” said BU coach Sally Starr. “This is big for the seniors, in particular they wanted to finish on a positive note on New Balance Field. They’re having a great senior year, and this is the exclamation mark on their senior year. Now we’re just all very excited about heading down to American [University] to get ready for the Patriot League Tournament.”

The team’s veterans have paced the Terriers all season. After a 4-1 loss coming at the hands of then-No. 11 Northwestern University Sept. 7, BU bounced back the next game, defeating Miami University (Ohio) by a score of 1-0. Down the stretch, the tenacity of the seniors was most evident as they led the team to a 5-2 record in the final seven games, only losing to two top-10 teams.

The seniors’ impact is not only measured in their poise and leadership, but also their consistent productivity. They have combined for nine goals and have assisted on 12 more. In the final six games of the season, Burdis scored three goals, one of them a game-winner against crosstown rival Northeastern University. They have excelled defensively as well, leading a squad that has given up just 24 goals in 18 games. Schieb has twice been named Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week, while Fruitema and Hackett lead on one of the top midfields in the Patriot League.

Although the seniors finished off a fantastic regular season Saturday, they understand their work is not done yet, as the Patriot League Tournament begins Friday at American in Washington, D.C. The Terriers will face Bucknell University — which they beat 2-0 late during the regular season Oct. 19 — in the semifinal game.

“I’m really glad [Lafayette] was as competitive as they were because it really helps us to prepare well for next week,” Starr said. “It exposed some things that we need to continue to work on. The way that they battled is going to be exactly how it’s going to be next Friday.

“This game really helped us to get an idea of what that atmosphere is like. They had great fans, we had great fans, a lot of energy on the sideline as well as energy out on the field, so I think this game is really gonna help us to get ready for the Patriot League Tournament.”

As BU moves into the postseason, it will look to its senior leaders for extra guidance, especially considering the young players on the team who will be playing in their first collegiate postseason.