Women’s soccer beats Bucknell, 1-0

The Boston University women’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to 10 games Saturday afternoon, defeating Bucknell University 1-0. With the victory as the team now prepares for the Patriot League Tournament.

With this weekend’s win over the Bison (7-9-1, 4-4-1 Patriot League), the Terriers (13-3-3, 8-1-0 Patriot League) earned the title of Patriot League regular season co-champions, along with the U.S. Naval Academy.

The game lacked much action through the first half hour, at which point the Terriers had four shots, but had yet to test Bucknell goalkeeper Jessica Ratner. Senior goalkeeper Andrea Green was key for the Terrier defense as she left her net multiple times to disrupt Bison possessions.

“We were sluggish [in the first half]” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “We defended pretty well, but even that was a hair short of full determination and focus. There was too slow of a tempo.

“Part of it was Bucknell, they’re a very good team. It wasn’t our best performance, and we’re certainly going to have to play better to win the conference tournament.”

Senior midfielders Emma Clark and Kylie Strom played big roles distributing the ball in the midfield throughout the first half. However, the Bison defense prevented any serious threat from the Terriers.

Bucknell’s defense was unusually impressive against BU. The Bison ranked last in the Patriot League prior to this match with an average of 1.62 goals allowed per game.

Freshman forward Erica Kosienski finally capitalized on the Terriers’ superior play in the 52nd minute. Senior midfielder Megan McGoldrick slipped the ball into the path of Kosienksi’s run before the freshman fired a shot across the face of the goal and into the back of the net, giving BU a 1-0 advantage.

Kosienski brought inspired play again in the 57th minute, when she took the ball down the side of the 18-yard-box and crossed it in towards junior forward Taylor Krebs, who lobbed her shot just above the crossbar.

BU showed on several occasions that it was not satisfied with the one-goal lead, as in the 70th minute the Terriers pressured the Bison back into their own box. Sophomore forward Jenna Fisher’s strike, however, was saved by the outstretched Ratner.

The game grew tense as it neared its end, as in the 73rd minute Bucknell midfielder Evelyn Nicinski received a yellow card from the referee after a violent tackle to stop a Terrier counterattack.

The Bison earned their only two corners in the 77th and 80th minutes, respectively. BU’s defense stood strong though, as the Terriers posted another shutout. It marked the 13th shutout of the season for BU and its fourth in a row.

The game marked the end of the regular season for both schools, but it will not be the final match for the two. BU and Bucknell clinched spots in the Patriot League Tournament.

The Terriers claimed the second seed for the Patriot League playoffs, which gives them a bye for the first round of the tournament. BU’s next game will be in the semifinals Nov. 8 at Navy in Annapolis, Md.

Although she had her doubts about the Terriers’ performance against the Bison, Feldman said she was optimistic when discussing the immediate future.

“We’re co-champions of the Patriot League,” Feldman said. “We’re relatively healthy going into the tournament, and now it’s about moving on into a new chapter in the postseason. We’re ready to roll.”