City, Multimedia, News, Politics

Martin Walsh defeats John Connolly in narrow mayoral election

Mass. Rep. Martin Walsh narrowly defeated City Councilor John Connolly to become Boston’s first new mayor in 20 years.

With all precincts reported, Walsh received 51.55 percent of the vote, or 72,514 votes and Connolly garnered 48.06 percent or 67,606 votes, according to results from the Boston Elections Commission.

Walsh will take office on Jan. 6, marking the end of Boston Mayor Thomas Menino’s tenure. Menino announced on March 26 that he would not seek a sixth consecutive term.

Walsh, a state representative from Dorchester, focused his campaign on reforming gun control laws, abolishing the Boston Redevelopment Authority and seeking more diversity in government positions.

Connolly, an at-large City Councilor and former schoolteacher, conceded the race at about 9:15 p.m. at his election party at the Westin Copley Place Hotel.

He was an advocate for reforming education in the Boston Public Schools system and closing the achievement gap. Connolly led in several polls since the primary on Sept. 24, but faced strong competition from Walsh who received several endorsements from public officials and significant campaign contributions from labor unions.

<

Boston Election Results 2013

| Infographics

More details to come soon.