City, News, Politics

Marty Walsh announces transition administration

Boston Mayor-elect Martin Walsh announced appointments to his transition team Friday, just three days after winning the election against City Councilor John Connolly.

The transition team is made up of six co-chairs, including three former mayoral candidates who endorsed Walsh during his campaign: City Councilor Felix Arroyo, former Boston Public School Committee member John Barros and former Mass. Rep. for the Fifth Suffolk District Charlotte Golar Richie, according to a Friday press release.

Walsh did not specify how long the transition team will serve in their positions.

“[This team is so] when January 6th comes along, we don’t miss a beat from the 5th and the 6th so we’re able to continue government moving smoothly,” he said in a Friday press conference at his transition office on Franklin Street.

Executive Director of the University of Massachusetts Building Authority Katherine Craven, Chair of the Ward 17 Democratic Committee Joyce Linehan and President of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau Samuel Tyler round out the current transition team.

“We’re going to be making announcements on our full transition team in the coming weeks as we put it in place,” Walsh said.

Walsh said he and his co-chairs would be traveling around Boston to attend town hall meetings and visit local neighborhoods to ask what residents want to see from their city government.

“We’ve been talking to other mayors across the country and their administration on what worked and what didn’t work and we want to come up with a good structure so we are able to get this right,” he said.

Walsh also announced the creation of a website to get residents of Boston involved in the transition process, the release stated.

Inspired by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino’s transition blog, Walsh said he created his own website to increase transparency and encourage people to get involved by sharing their ideas via social media.

“The exciting but hard work to continue to move Boston forward begins now,” Walsh wrote on the transition website. “I ask for your help, your ideas, and your energy … as we make Boston the best she can be.”

1. I would like to see the seniors not be forgotten