SPH Dean Meenan to step down from post after 22 years of leadership

After 22 years as dean of Boston University’s School of Public Health, Robert Meenan announced Thursday he is stepping down from his position. PHOTO COURTESY OF SPH

Boston University School of Public Health Dean Robert Meenan has decided to step down from his position as dean after 22 years, he announced Thursday in an email to SPH faculty provided to The Daily Free Press by SPH Director of Communications and Marketing Kara Peterson.

“With SPH so well-positioned for future success, I have decided that now is a good time for me to transition out of my role as Dean,” Meenan said in a Thursday email. “I started thinking about this during the summer and began to consider it more seriously as school opened in September and my next anniversary approached.”

Meenan said he will help university officials in their search for his replacement. After he steps down, he will continue to work at BU in President Robert Brown’s office.

“I will officially leave the deanship when my successor takes over,” he said in the email. “I will then become a Special Assistant to the President and take on such duties as President Brown may assign me. At that time I will relocate my office to the Charles River Campus in order to undertake my new duties and also to clear the way for my successor to fully assume his or her new responsibilities.”

Because SPH has made enormous progress in the last year, with record-highs in student enrollment, an increase in the budget surplus and a growing research program, it is now a suitable time to begin the transition in leadership, Meenan said.

“We are entering a modest lull in the life cycle of the school in that we face no major reviews, planning deadlines or external accreditations in the next two years,” he said in the email.  “Starting now should give the school ample opportunity to recruit my successor and have that person up to speed in time to tackle the next cycle of strategic planning and accreditation review.”

Brown also sent out an email to SPH faculty Thursday about Meenan’s decision.

“As you know from his email earlier today, Bob Meenan has told me of his intention to step down as dean of the School of Public Health after 22 years of outstanding leadership,” Brown said in the email, which was provided to The Daily Free Press. “Bob has graciously agreed to remain as dean while we conduct a national search for the next dean of the School.”

In the email, Brown offered praise for Meenan’s accomplishments as a leader within SPH.

“During his long and distinguished tenure, Bob has led the transformation of the School from what was once a department within the School of Medicine to one of the nation’s preeminent schools of public health,” he said in the email. “He will conclude his service as dean having nurtured vibrant educational and research programs that are strongly integrated into the mission of the University.”

Faculty will receive more information about the search for Meenan’s successor in coming weeks, Brown said.

In concluding his email, Meenan said he is confident his decision is the best option for himself and SPH.

“While it has taken some effort to get my head around the implications of my decision, I am increasingly convinced that it is the right choice for the school and for me,” he said. “I intend to be fully and vigorously engaged as dean for as long as I remain in office. I will participate positively in the recruitment of my successor, and I will work to ensure an orderly and successful transition.”