Logan outfits new technology to improve flight safety

Xsight Systems installed an automated foreign debris detection system at Boston Logan International Airport  over the summer, making it one of the first airports in the United States to have this type of technology. PHOTO COURTESY OF XSIGHT SYSTEMS
Xsight Systems installed an automated foreign debris detection system at Boston Logan International Airport over the summer, making it one of the first airports in the United States to have this type of technology. PHOTO COURTESY OF XSIGHT SYSTEMS

Xsight Systems, a developer of runway sensor technologies, announced Friday the launch of an automated foreign object debris detector called FODetect that will provide further safety measures and increased efficiency at Logan International Airport.

Arik Fux, vice president of U.S. Operations for Xsight Systems, said the technology would help the airport determine when action should be taken to remove an object from the runway.

“For any item that is detected, it will alert the airport user and will give them enough visual information to decide whether they need to respond immediately or not,” he said. “If the airport decides that the object is deemed to be responded to immediately, you want to remove it before something happens on the runway.”

Boston is the first city in the United States to use an automated detection system from the Israel-based company to find FOD, or foreign object debris. Officially turned on in September, the system was installed on one of the busiest runways at the airport to cut down time between flight operations.

The FODetect technology combines remote sensors with runway edge lights to increase safety and efficiency. FODetect also allows for full video coverage from the runway, according to a Friday release.

Richard Walsh, a spokesperson for Massport Authority, said the system will not replace the previous method of manually scanning for debris on the runway, but it will enhance the process by providing the addition of automated scans.

“We have six runways on the airport, and this technology is on one of the runways, Runway 927,” he said. “This really hasn’t changed protocols that are in place or requirements by the FAA [Federal Aviation Administration]. This is an enhancement over and above what is required.”

The airport has been working with the FAA and production companies for several years in an effort to adopt the best system. After a competitive bidding process, the airport chose Xsight Systems, Walsh said.

“Logan Airport has a very good reputation to be on the cutting edge of technology and they are always on the lookout for ways to make the airport even safer,” Fux said. “So they’re looking all the time to safe technologies and … we are categorized under safe technologies.”

Logan Airport paid $1.7 million for the system, a much lower price than the usual $5 million price tag, because it is the first airport in the United States to use this sort of technology.

“In many cases, one of the benefits of being the first is that all the competitors were very aggressive in terms of pricing to get this project,” Fux said. “Boston ended up choosing us as the one most suitable for their airport. As with any other product, the early adopters have the benefit of getting it for a special price.”

Xsight Systems officials said they hope the success at Logan Airport will encourage others to adopt the technology.

“We definitely see traction with more airports now, outside Boston, that are looking at the reputation that Boston has,” he said. “[They are] coming over to take a look at the system and are definitely interested, going forward, in installing those systems as well.”

Several residents said the improved technology will make the airport more efficient and cut back on delays between takeoffs.

“Anything they can do to maximize efficiency is good,” said Molly Hopper, 28, of Boston. “It’s a really busy airport and a lot of people commute, so whatever system they have in place sounds great.”

Lauren Eisenmenger, 26, of Back Bay, said she hopes the technology will minimize delays and cut down on the time needed to manually scan the runways.

“Anything that would improve delays would be amazing,” she said.  “That’s everyone’s first complaint when they’re flying…that they’re late, so anything that would improve that would be great.”

Jeremy Scott, 35, of Dorchester, said the detection system is a good way for Logan Airport to establish credibility and create a good reputation for the city of Boston.

“It’s good that Logan is trying to make changes to their airport,” he said. “If it works, they can be the pioneers. That’s always good to have that associated with your city.”