Boston Athletic Association invites 2013 marathon runners to return

The Boston Athletic Association announced Monday that runners significantly impacted by the 2013 marathon bombings have been extended invitational entries into the 2014 Boston Marathon.

Those with special connection to the bombings who wish to participate in the marathon can submit a 250-word essay to the BAA’s website in order to be considered for entry. The deadline to submit a request is Nov. 27 and those who receive an invitational entry  on Dec. 4 will not need to qualify for the marathon.

“The BAA has created an opportunity for those who were most affected by the events of last April to submit a request for entry into the 2014 Boston Marathon,” said Thomas Grilk, BAA executive director, in a Monday release. “This is in addition to an allocation which we have made to The One Fund community, first responders and Boston-area hospitals which were involved.”

The BAA extended the field to 36,000 participants this year, including the invitational entries. Several runners said they are proud the 2014 Boston Marathon will be one of the biggest yet.

“This is an old time classic marathon, and they are very protective about how many people they allow to run in the race,” said Rob Tyrell, the media contact for the L Street Running Club of South Boston. “They’re willing to expand this year to 36,000 runners. That’s the second largest group they’ve ever had … the BAA is really stretching here to assist and help people heal from the bombing.”

Said Ahmed, head of the Boston United Track and Cross Country Club, said the size of the upcoming marathon is very significant.

“This year I think it’s going to be the most watched marathon in the world,” he said. “They [the BAA] have to overcome all of this pain … I’m speechless when I see the work they do and the great job they are willing to put forth for the people. They have always been reaching out to people, and it’s time for us to reach out to them.”

“I was supposed to be retired from running marathons, but I might come out of retirement for this one,” Tyrell said. “We, as runners, don’t want anybody to try to intimidate us. Running is our thing … we’re not going to let anybody take it away from us, so we’re going to come back strong.”

Some residents see this upcoming marathon as therapy for last year’s victims and runners.

“There are many stages of grief, but I think a very important one is being able to move forward and move on, and I think that this will help people see that there still are positive things in the future,” said Jason Yang, 30, of Brookline. “[At next year’s marathon] you’ll see a somber sense of remembrance, but also a greater call towards pride in the city and pride in our community.”

Tom Ryan, 53, a teacher from the South End, said the BAA is trying to normalize a situation that is now marked by an unforgettable traumatic incident.

“The sad part is that the kind of loose quality has been lost,” he said. “People just take their lawn chairs and sit by the side of the road, and I don’t know if that’s going to be an option anymore. It’s kind of sad. It’s one of those things that have been going on here forever, and it really is the heart of the city.”

Michael Soremekun, 34, of Roxbury, said the marathon bombings motivated more people to get involved and run than ever before.

“After the bombings of last year, many more people would like to show their heart and that’s inspiring them to run,” he said. “[They want to show] that despite what happened last year, they’re willing to run and they’re not afraid.”