Women’s soccer gears up for 2nd round of NCAA Tournament

The No. 25 Boston University women’s soccer team will head to Blacksburg, Va., to take on No. 9 Santa Clara University in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.

The winner of the contest between the Terriers (15-3-4, 8-1-0 Patriot League) and the Broncos (15-4-1) will face the winner of the matchup between No. 4 Virginia Tech University and No. 12 West Virginia University.

The Terriers are coming off of a 1-0 win over Harvard University, while the Broncos defeated the University of California by a score of 2-1.

BU’s encounter with Harvard (12-4-2) was the second meeting of the season between the two schools this year and also served as the second time in three years that the teams have played each other in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

When the Terriers and Crimson met this past Saturday at Nickerson Field, the two sides struggled to battle for possession, although BU led in shots 6-3 at the end of the first half. BU did not convert on its chances in the first frame, but the defense held strong and kept the game scoreless heading to the second half.

BU finally broke through in the 76th minute when senior midfielder Kylie Strom played a precise pass towards freshman forward Erica Kosienski, who then placed a shot in the bottom corner of the net.

After the Terriers’ game came to a close, Santa Clara hosted Cal (11-5-5) in its first round contest on the west coast. The Broncos grabbed the lead in 22nd minute when senior Allyson Birgel converted a shot opportunity on a set piece.

Although Cal found the equalizer in the 48th minute, Santa Clara answered back. Forward Sofia Huerta deposited the ball into the back of the net on a counterattack in the 70th minute to give the Broncos a 2-1 lead and eventually the win.

“We’ve been keeping it sharp, keeping it relatively short,” Feldman said about the team’s preparation for Santa Clara. “We’re trying to have a high intensity and a high tempo. That’s been the rhythm for the last three weeks.”

The Broncos have made the tournament every year since 2009, and overall have qualified for the bracket 20 times, while BU reached the tournament nine times since the program’s inception in 1995.

This year’s Santa Clara team presents a strong attack that may prove to be a challenge for the Terrier defense. The Bronco offense led the West Coast Conference in goals scored per game with 3.00 a contest, which was also good for second in the nation in that category. Furthermore, senior Morgan Marlborough Huerta and senior Julie Johnston were in the top 10 in goals scored in the WCC.

BU will counter the Broncos’ offensive firepower with a defense that has consistently shutdown opponents this season. In addition to allowing the fewest goals per game in the nation (.305), the Terriers also boast the country’s third-highest shutout percentage at 72.7 percent.

The Terriers last made the NCAA Tournament in 2011, when they were defeated 2-0 by then-No.1 Wake Forrest in the second round.

“We have some players who have had that experience,” Feldman said regarding the team’s 2011 finish. “It’s not unchartered waters. We were facing a tough test [two years ago], and they know what that’s going to look like… They have the confidence from the last experience that, while we respect who we’re up against, they belong on the field and that they can play and compete with some of the schools with reputations like Santa Clara of being a national power.”

Feldman’s satisfaction, she said, comes from the team’s mindset.

“What I’ve seen is a continued attitude in getting stronger, and that they want to keep it going,” Feldman said. “As it gets colder and it gets longer, I’ve actually seen the team and the individual players with a stronger mentality to take another step.

“It’d be easiest for them to just ride it out and be satisfied with what they’ve accomplished. That’s not the attitude I’ve seen. I’m proud of them for that. It definitely puts us in the best place possible to be ready to play.”

Feldman also said she articulated to her team the importance of the game.

“You get 90 minutes. You better be ready when the whistle blows. We’re facing some more talented players, but we don’t want to waste a second being in awe of the situation. I’d say that’s the message we’d like the older players to send the younger players. Get out there and be aggressive.”