Warren ends weekend with 4 points, hat trick

The past couple of weeks have been tough for senior captain Louise Warren and the rest of the Boston University women’s hockey team.

For the first time this season, the Terriers experienced an extended losing streak, dropping four straight contests against the likes of Providence College, Northeastern University and the University of Vermont.

Led by Warren, the Terriers (18-8-1, 11-5-0 Hockey East) bounced back in a big way against the University of Connecticut this weekend.

In the second game of their two-game series with the Huskies (7-19-2, 4-9-1 Hockey East), the captain notched a hat trick, knocking in three goals past Huskies’ goalie Elaine Chuli and leading the Terriers to a 5-2 victory. Warren also added an assist to her point total in the 2-1 win in the first game of the series Friday night.

Warren’s first goal Saturday came off of a deflection on senior defenseman Kaleigh Fratkin’s shot towards from the point. Her second tally came as a quick response to UConn goal 3:52 into the second period, knocking in a second chance from sophomore forward Sarah Lefort.

To complete her hat trick, Warren put a shot towards net after dangling past a UConn defender, skipping the rebound chance past Chuli.

“The first goal was a beautiful shot by Fratkin,” Warren said. “I was told I tipped it. It was a cluster in front. Their goalie was great this weekend so the way to do it was to get garbage goals.”

After her four point weekend against the Huskies, BU coach Brian Durocher said Warren played like a captain in the two victories.

“I mentioned to the kids after the game that our leaders played like leaders this weekend and that would be [Louise Warren], that would be Kaleigh Fratkin, that would be [senior forward] Taylor Holze, that would be Kerrin Sperry,” Durocher said. “We need those kids to be leaders. If they were part of our lackadaisical way at times defensively and for them to plug in defensively, then you’re letting your talent go defensively and I think that’s really important, that they got job done.”

Warren’s three goals gave her 20 goals on the season, good for second-best on the team, and 34 points total, tying her for 12th in all of the NCAA in the point category.

The Pembroke, Ontario native said she believes the two victories changed the mindset of the team.

“We’ve been in a slump for the past few games before this weekend and we got our momentum back, it felt great,” Warren said. “It’s just about keeping the positive attitude, not getting down on ourselves, believe where we can get back to where we were and we are getting back up there.”

During the losing slide, Warren proved why Durocher named her captain of the Terriers with the example she sets both on and off the ice to the slumping bunch. Not only has she continued her strong play, but she has been a presence off of the ice for BU.

“She continues to bring leadership in that she works extremely hard on the ice,” Durocher said. “She’s a very concerned kid. She’s not somebody who hangs out with this group or that group. I think she spends time with everybody with this team. That’s what you want out of a captain.

“She can do all the little things that can create good team morale. All through the year, we’ve had good team chemistry, good team morale and good leadership. That’s what’s gotta get you through some of the issues.”

Warren said the victories after a prolonged losing streak provided mental guidance to the team, especially with the opening round of the Beanpot Tournament coming up against Commonwealth Avenue rival Boston College.

“It means so much,” Warren said. “Our team plays so much better when everyone is in a good mood and thinking the way they should. It means a lot to keep a positive attitude.”