Virginia Sapiro will step down as Dean of Arts and Sciences

College of Arts and Sciences Dean Virgina Sapiro will step down at the end of the 2014-2015 academic year. COURTESY OF THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES

Virginia Sapiro will step down as dean of the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Boston University at the conclusion of the 2014-15 academic year, said BU spokesman Colin Riley.

Sapiro became the first female dean in university history, after accepting the position in July 2007, and some of her notable achievements in CAS include establishing new areas of study, increasing freshman student applications and doubling the number of philanthropic gifts.

“It is a huge and complex job with very great responsibility, and no one can do it for a very long time,” Sapiro said in an email. “I spent most of my career as a scholar and a teacher– have won awards for my research and teaching, and I have always missed those activities even while I love what I have been able to do as dean.”

Sapiro said she will continue to work in BU’s political science department, where she will teach and conduct research.

Before coming to BU, Sapiro served as the vice provost for teaching and learning and interim provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. She holds a bachelor’s degree in government from Clark University in Worcester and a doctorate in political science from the University of Michigan.

The process of choosing Sapiro’s successor will begin by forming an advisory committee. With the search expected to continue over the course of the 2014-15 academic year, the new dean will be chosen by the end of the spring semester, Riley said.

The advisory committee will consist of elected faculty members from CAS, other BU colleges and schools and individuals chosen by the provost. The committee will solicit nominations from within and outside the university that will require approval by the president and Board of Trustees, according to the faculty handbook.

Julie Sandell, associate provost for faculty affairs, said she expects university leaders to consider experienced candidates from within and outside BU.

“I expect they will look for someone with outstanding scholarly credentials, a strong knowledge of the issues that are current in higher education, and outstanding administrative experience,” she said in an email. “CAS is very large and complex, with many departments, programs, faculty, students and staff, so the leader who is identified will be someone who we expect can do an outstanding job leading such a large enterprise.”

Sapiro said she hopes her successor will continue to bolster the reputation of CAS and stay attentive to the needs of students.

“There is always more to do in improving undergraduate and graduate education and the experiences of all of our students, and encouraging and supporting great research,” she said. “My successor will also continue the work of reaching out to our great alumni and friends, and earning their trust and their support for our great research and education programs.”

Sapiro will remain as dean until her successor begins their post.

Several students said they support Sapiro’s choice to step down as dean and they look forward to her future endeavors as a professor.

Morgan Pollard, a freshman in the College of Communication, said she admires Sapiro’s decision to pursue her passion of being an educator and scholar.

“It takes a lot of guts to reevaluate yourself,” she said. “I applaud her because she knows what she wants, and it’s good for her to do what makes her happy. She will still have an influence on the school.”

Kristine Mahan, a freshman in the College of Fine Arts, said she appreciates Sapiro’s dedication to the university and is glad to see she will remain at BU.

“It’s good because it shows her enthusiasm for the school and how connected everything is,” she said. “Hopefully her successor will take on the challenge gracefully.”

Joohyun Lee, a junior in CAS, said Sapiro has been successful as dean over the years, and she has left a valuable mark on the college.

“When I first saw the news, I was sad,” she said. “She has done a lot for the college and university such as creating the First Year Experience to help students get acclimated to college. She has a passion for CAS and liberal arts. I like that she cultivated a big sense of community because the school is so big.”

Vice Chairman and archives keeper for The Daily Free Press Board of Directors. Former news editor. I like data, politics, and higher education, but will write about anything.