Sports

Drew Marrochello officially named as new Boston University athletic director

Drew Marrochello has worked with BU Athletics since 2005. PHOTO COURTESY OF BU ATHLETICS

Former Boston University Deputy Director of Athletics Drew Marrochello has officially been named the university’s 13th athletic director.

Marrochello, who has served as BU’s interim AD since July after longtime director Michael Lynch stepped down from the position, has been involved in BU athletics since 2005, when he joined the staff as the associate athletic director for internal affairs.

“Drew has a thorough understanding of college sports and is well known and respected in intercollegiate athletics,” said Todd Klipp, senior vice president, senior counsel and secretary of the Board of Trustees in a statement. “He understands and is committed to BU’s institutional priorities — we are first and foremost an academic institution. Drew believes, as I do, that our student-athletes can be excellent students and good community citizens while at the same time excelling in their chosen sport.”

Marrochello, who hails from Arlington, expressed his excitement for the position of the news in the release.

“Honored may be an overused word, but when you take into account that I was a kid who grew up watching the Boston Breakers play on Nickerson Field and going to BU-BC [Boston College] hockey games, taking over this role is truly an honor,” Marrochello said. “I think I’m in a unique position, because I’ve been part of the BU community for nine years, so I already feel at home within the department and the university. An athletic director’s job at a Division I institution is a rare opportunity, and to have that opportunity at a place that you feel so strongly about makes it even more special.”

During his time on Commonwealth Avenue, Marrochello has forged an impressive career for himself. As deputy athletic director — a position that he held for the last seven years – Marrochello managed the athletic department’s day-to-day operations as well as its $25 million budget. He was also responsible for planning events such as the Boston University men’s hockey team’s Red Hot Hockey game with Cornell University, as well as serving as the point person for construction projects like New Balance Field.

In addition, Marrochello supervised the women’s crew, men’s and women’s lacrosse, women’s soccer, softball and men’s and women’s tennis teams, while also leading the charge for six new coaching searches, including hires for both the men’s hockey and women’s basketball squads.

“Athletically, my goal is for BU to be viewed as the best non-football-playing Division I school in the nation,” he said. “I truly believe that this can be accomplished without sacrificing any values or principles, and certainly can be accomplished while upholding the academic standards and mission of the University.”

After earning a master’s degree in education administration from the University at Albany, State University of New York, Marrochello coached football at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Union College for five years before serving as athletic director at Hudson Valley Community College for eight years.

I spend my days serving as Sports Editor of The Daily Free Press, covering BU Hockey and finding more ways to worship Tom Brady. Previous experience includes covering the Red Sox and Bruins for WEEI.com and writing for South Boston Today. Follow me on Twitter: @ConorRyan_93