The Blue Line: A new season

Before the 2013-14 NCAA men’s ice hockey season began, USCHO.com ranked Boston University 19th in the nation. The Terriers, under first-year head coach David Quinn, failed to meet those expectations, finishing last season with a dismal record of 10-21-4, winning just one road game all season – the last contest of the year at Northeastern University.

Opponents outshot the Terriers 1271-927 and outscored BU 113-81 on the season. If not for BU’s solid goaltending from then-sophomores Sean Maguire and Matt O’Connor, the team’s dreadful record probably would have been worse.

Despite the underwhelming results of last year, and despite the departure of senior co-captains Garrett Noonan and Patrick MacGregor, I predict the Terriers will be much better this upcoming season.

Quinn now has the experience he previously lacked and has his three leading scorers from last season — sophomore forward Robbie Baillargeon, junior defenseman Ahti Oksanen and junior forward Danny O’Regan — all returning. Additionally, the arrival of a robust recruiting class, including freshman forward Jack Eichel, projected to be a top-two pick in the 2015 National Hockey League Draft, provides countless new possibilities for the Terriers offense.

When Quinn took the job as Boston University’s head coach, he knew he had incredibly large shoes to fill. His predecessor, Jack Parker, compiled 897 wins –- the third-highest total amongst Division I coaches — during his tenure on Commonwealth Avenue. We cannot blame Quinn for not matching the level of excellence set by Parker. In fact, Quinn did a very impressive job with the team he was presented.

Forward Matt Nieto, who was slated to play on the team last year, signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks. Moreover, other NHL players in Charlie Coyle (Minnesota Wild) and Adam Clendening (Chicago Blackhawks) would have been seniors last year. As a result of all the personnel shifts, several new, younger players had to be added.

The Terriers’ opening day roster last season consisted of 17 freshmen and sophomores, far more than the team had anticipated. The struggles began rather early on and persisted for the duration of the season. Junior defenseman Matt Grzelcyk suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in January, ultimately dooming BU’s chances of success.

BU’s struggles last season are most obvious during the latter half of the season. Grzelcyk’s injury was demoralizing, as the team trudged to a 3-11-2 record to close out the season. After a victory against No. 17 University of Vermont on Jan. 24, the Terriers remained winless until the last weekend of the regular season when they defeated Northeastern twice in two nights.

There are few successes when looking back on last season. One definite bright spot, though, was Baillargeon’s rapid development. He led the team — as a freshman with 27 points. Another high point included the categorical annihilation of the University of Wisconsin, then-ranked second in the nation, on Oct. 19, 2013. In front of a faithful crowd at Agganis Arena, the Terriers put on an offensive clinic, defeating the Badgers 7-3 with ease.

Why will this year be any different for BU hockey? The Terriers of last year were inexperienced, injured and outplayed. The roster this year is filled with younger, better, faster and stronger players, with much more upside than most of last year’s roster. Though the Terriers may not win Hockey East, they will threaten Boston College and Providence College much more than last year.

Furthermore, I predict the 2014-15 Terriers, like the 2012-13 and 2013-14 Terriers, will be led in scoring by a freshman. Jack Eichel is ready to take the Hockey East by storm (much like Boston College’s Johnny Gaudreau did during his time at Chestnut Hill).

Eichel is a ferocious skater with astounding agility, strong strides and pinpoint accuracy. Watching a player of his caliber develop even more here at BU will be extremely exciting.

Despite BU’s awful season last year, I am very excited for the 2014-15 campaign. Last year was a minor setback for the well-oiled machine known as Terrier Hockey. Replacing an icon of Parker’s stature will take time, perhaps much more than we’d like, but I have faith in Coach Quinn’s ability to lead a capable young team with a budding star.

Eichel alone cannot win BU a championship, but his presence will be felt immediately. The pieces already in place at BU, in addition to other skilled freshmen, will lead this team to great success. Though the Terriers may not reestablish their dominance as an elite D-I program by this season’s end, they are certainly headed in the right direction.