Greek Life, BUPD host panel to address hazing

Liza Moskowitz (COM ‘15), left, speaks Wednesday with Boston University Police Department Chief Thomas Robbins, center, and Connor Walsh (ENG ‘15), right, at a panel discussion at Jacob Sleeper Auditorium about how to prevent hazing through empowerment and leadership. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DAILY FREE PRESS CONTRIBUTOR

In the midst of fall recruitment for some of Boston University’s social fraternities and sororities, the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils co-hosted a panel Tuesday to address hazing at colleges and universities in recognition of National Hazing Prevention Week.

“National Hazing Prevention Week is nationwide initiative that really isn’t only centered around fraternity and sorority life,” said Panhellenic President Liza Moskowitz, a senior in the College of Communication. “It is centered around this idea that no one, no matter what environment they are in, should feel uncomfortable or should be hazed.”

The discussion, which was held at Jacob Sleeper Auditorium and had about 30 attendees, featured a panel of leaders from Greek Life and the BU Police Department who shared their thoughts on the negative consequences of hazing.

Moskowitz said hazing hinders fraternal organizations’ potential to be leaders in their communities and to mentor young students.

“A Big and Little relationship is the most powerful relationship you can have with someone,” she said. “You establish that credibility and legitimacy by getting to know them, building them up, finding out what they are about and what their goals are…Pushing someone down to pull them back up is a waste of energy.”

IFC President Connor Walsh said sororities and fraternities often cross the line when hazing incoming pledges.

“If the authority figures in an organization need you to be hazed for you to respect them, then there is probably an issue with that organization,” said Walsh, a senior in the College of Engineering. “Respect doesn’t come from how much you take. It’s more from how much you give. I’m not going to respect you more if you are someone who tried to belittle me when I was a freshman.”

Walsh said members of Greek Life should strive for a higher standard that reflects well on the sororities and fraternities they represent.

“You don’t need standards of looks, you don’t need standards of wealth, you don’t need standards of athletics and you don’t need standards of how well you portray yourself to others,” he said. “It’s about what you really want to contribute.”

BUPD Deputy Director of Public Safety Scott Paré said law enforcement officials take hazing reports seriously.

“They’ll investigate and try to find anyone that is involved,” he said. “They’ll send those who are involved to court, and if it sounds like an arrest, they’ll give you a court date. They are not going to care if you have a test that day [or] if you have tickets to go home. That’s going to be up to the judge to decide whether it’s an up to $3,000 fine or up to a year in jail.”

Several attendees said the panel opened up conversation crucial to bringing change to the Greek Life community.

Panhel’s Vice President of Scholarship and Academic Affairs Meaghan Lang, a senior in the School of Management, said encouraging groups to talk about hazing is a step toward ending the problem.

“Hazing is one of the largest issues across the country, and by addressing it here, it makes it open,” she said. “Having this kind of discussion is empowering to speak up against it and to shut down all the rumors about its benefits.”

“Hazing can definitely be stopped,” said SMG sophomore Emma Brown. “We are the change, we are the face of sororities and fraternities and it’s up to us to make the difference.”

Eric Wang, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he recognizes the severity of hazing as an overarching societal issue.

“Hazing is important to address because it’s not just Greek Life,” he said. “It is in sport teams, and it’s also a societal problem, something that pops up in every organization.”

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated that BUPD Chief Thomas Robbins spoke at the hazing panel, instead of Deputy Director of Public Safety Scott Paré. It also listed Connor Walsh as the IFC Public Relations Chair, rather than the President. The article has been updated to reflect the changes.