Rare enterovirus spreads to Boston, raises health concerns

The enterovirus has already been cited in 30 states including Massachusetts. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY MAE DAVIS/DAILY FREE PRESS CONTRIBUTOR

The rare viral infection enterovirus-D68 hit Massachusetts Tuesday, affirming state health officials’ warnings that citizens need to guard themselves against the illness.

EV D-68 began to spread across the United States in mid-August, with over 200 cases confirmed in 30 states including New York and Connecticut, according to data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

While the virus can manifest in mild cold-like symptoms, adults and children — especially those with asthma — are at a higher risk of developing a serious cough and respiratory problems, said Anita Barry, director of the Infectious Disease Bureau at the Boston Public Health Commission.

GRAPHIC BY SAMANTHA GROSS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

“We are able to track the level of illness and compare this year’s number of visits to emergency departments in those less than 18 years of age to last year’s visits for asthma-related visits and severe respiratory distress,” she said. “We’ve noticed in the last few weeks, the percentage of visits has markedly increased.”

Treatment for EV-D68 symptoms is more important than knowing if one truly has the virus, Barry said.

“The lab confirmation is a problem of capacity for testing specifically for EV-68,” Barry said. “It is important to know that the specific diagnosis is not important. There is no specific treatment against that specific virus. Treatment is supportive to reduce fever or control pain.”

Susan Foster, a professor of global public health at Boston University’s School of Public Health, said the reemergence of EV-D68 may suggest a turn in its evolution.

“This particular strain was discovered in the 1960s, but the fact that it’s been rare until now maybe suggests that it has somehow mutated and has become easier to transmit because we are seeing this transmission to a large number of people with a small fraction who get sick and need to be hospitalized,” she said.

Judy Platt, interim director of Student Health Services at Boston University, said in addition to receiving frequent updates from BPHC and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, BU promotes healthy practices to keep students safe during the flu season.

“Although there is not treatment for this strain of enterovirus, we offer numerous immunization clinics to keep students well and prevent the flu,” she said in an email. “The typical advice of rest, hydration, frequent hand washing and symptomatic care would apply here as well.”

Several residents and students said they are not particularly concerned about the virus and will attempt to remain healthy just as they would if it were a regular flu season.

“I feel fine and that I don’t have to take any further precautions to stay healthy and safe. Usually, I will get just a flu shot, and I feel good,” said Muhammad Umar, 54, of Brighton.

Claire Pozniak, a BU College of Arts and Sciences senior, said the media has exaggerated the severity of EV-D68.

“There are more serious viruses out there,” she said. “As a test case, the virus proves that we have no way of controlling any potential outbreak. I’m not concerned of the virus itself.”

Ingah Kennedy, 27, of Brighton, said preventative measures are important to reduce the possibility of contracting EV D-68.

“I always make sure to get a flu shot because when I [arrived] here from Ireland, I got the flu,” she said. “I think the City is prepared to deal with the general mild incidents concerning the enterovirus, but I am not sure about the more severe cases.”

Vice Chairman and archives keeper for The Daily Free Press Board of Directors. Former news editor. I like data, politics, and higher education, but will write about anything.