20 Questions: Women’s hockey forward Kayla Tutino

PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior forward Kayla Tutino recorded 10 points in 14 games during the 2013-14 season. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

In preparation for the upcoming 2014-15 campaign, the No. 5/6 Boston University women’s ice hockey team played its first and only preseason game Saturday afternoon, defeating the visiting Queen’s University by a score of 3-0.

Junior forward Kayla Tutino, playing in her first game since she succumbed to a knee injury 14 games into the 2013-14 season, opened the scoring in the final minute of the first period on a power-play goal.

One of the two assistant captains for the Terriers this season, Tutino has recorded 77 points in 89 career games with BU and should once again be a valuable piece to a talented Terrier squad in 2014-15.

1. How does it feel to be back on the ice?

“It’s a good feeling, obviously. Hockey is what I love to do. Basically, it’s a big part of my life, and getting to share that with the girls is awesome, so I was really excited just to play today. That’s all that mattered.”

2. And to score?

“It’s always a plus to score, to help my team. It was a good feeling. I’m happy I could come back and score my first game back.”

3. Can you describe your goal?

“Taking the space we had and moving it around, [senior defenseman Shannon] Stoneburgh basically gave it to me off the wall, and I just took the space and shot.”

4. What are you most looking forward to this season?

“I basically think that there’s a lot to come from our team, a lot of talent and a lot of compete. I said that last time, but there’s going to be a lot of eye-openers, a lot of players are going to do big things. I’m really excited about it.”

5. Do you have a favorite team in the NHL that you follow?

“Yes, the Montreal Canadiens, from my hometown.”

6. So is it tough for you in Boston being a Habs fan?

“Yes, very tough. I always get hassled, but I embrace it. Hockey’s a competitive sport, and it makes it that much more fun.”

7. Do you have a favorite player?

“I like [Canadiens left wing Max] Pacioretty.”

8. Is there anyone that you model your game after as a hockey player?

“I kind of like [Minnesota Wild left wing] Zach Parise. He hustles a lot on the ice, and he finds ways to get goals and just is a dynamic player.”

9. What’s the biggest difference between playing in Canada and playing here?

“I guess University-wise, here at college everybody is away from home, so your classmates come to your games more often. It’s kind of more of a community here, so I like that. I see some friends in the stands, and it’s nice to see.”

10. What do you miss most about Canada when you’re here?

“I miss my family, obviously, and Canada and the U.S. are very similar, but home is home, and just the culture, and I find it’s a lot of downtime at home. I find here things are very rushed, but again, I’m at school here playing hockey, so it’s only normal.”

11. What are you studying at school?

“Advertising in the College of Communication.”

12. Did you have a specific subject in school you liked growing up or was it just sort of hockey, hockey, hockey?

“Gym class, yeah. I excelled at gym. I always got an ‘A’ in gym, so that was good for me.”

13. When did you start playing hockey?

“I was four years old.”

14. Did you start as a forward?

“Always forward, because I like chasing the puck. That’s my thing.”

15. Do you have a game day ritual or a pre-game ritual at all? 

“Yes, I usually just come in earlier and tape my sticks, stretch, drink a lot of water, hydrate ahead of time, think about the game and go get my back stretched…and just hang around the locker room. I like to think of the game and be here a couple hours ahead, get focused and away from everything else away from the rink.”

16. What’s your favorite place on campus?

“The rink, and I like the Charles River. Technically, I don’t know if that’s considered campus, but it’s kind of campus-y, so it’s a place where you can get away from things and get some quiet.”

17. What is you most memorable BU moment to date?

“I would have to say my first hat trick freshman year and being on the Hockey East All-Rookie team. Those are two things that I enjoyed.”

18. Are you at all superstitious?

“Very superstitious. I usually put my right side of my equipment on first. I put my hockey stick to my right side after warm ups and keep it there for the rest of the game.”

19. What will you bring to the team this year as an assistant captain?

“A lot of talent, but I just think I bring a lot of poise and a lot of compete and experience, and I’ve overcome obstacles, and every year has brought something different, so I feel like I know how to handle things like, say we’re down a goal or we’re up a goal, but I’m just gonna bring everything I’ve got, and I’m gonna play every game like it’s my last because I appreciate it. When I was out for the season last year, I really appreciated hockey.”

20. Do you have any personal goals for the season?

“Just get better every game, help my team every game, be a leader and help my team try to win a championship, a national championship. It’s our goal every year, and I want to help give everything I’ve got for my team.”

Nice girl, tries hard, loves the game. Judy covers men's hockey for The Daily Free Press. When she's not writing, she's quoting "Miracle" in conversations and living in a constant in a state of wonder at everything Patrice Bergeron has ever done. Follow her on Twitter at @judylee_c