Arts & Entertainment, Features, The Muse

Ritz-Carlton urban orchard brings rural fall favorite to city dwellers

As fall approaches the breezy streets of Boston, students and residents all over the city are beginning to focus on that one staple of the season: apple picking. That’s right, as the temperatures drop and the carefree days of summer slowly fade, a consolation springs forward in the form of crisp, delicious, handpicked apples. Whether in a heartwarming cider or simply a crunchy snack on one’s way out the door, the apple is truly the king of autumn. Luckily, it just got a lot closer to home.

For the second year in a row, The Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Boston has taken on the task of bringing this fall necessity straight into the heart of the city with its very own pop-up apple orchard in the hotel lobby.

“Not everyone has the time to visit an orchard,” said Executive Chef Frank Kassner. “So we brought the elements of the orchard to The Ritz-Carlton.”

The orchard, located inside the Ritz-Carlton on 10 Avery St. near the Boston Common, was launched Saturday and will be up and running every Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. throughout the month of October. The hotel is opening its doors to Ritz-Carlton guests and Boston residents, making sure that no Bostonian misses out on the delicious seasonal treats.

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Downtown Boston has organized an urban apple orchard in the lobby of the hotel, which features apples, pastries, donuts, and apple cider¬¬. PHOTO COURTESY OF RITZ-CARLTON

City dwellers and foodies alike will be hard-pressed to find a downside to this miniature orchard — it is an apple pickers delight. Among the selection, visitors of the unique orchard are likely to find a variety of local apples, straight from the Belkin Family Lookout Farm in South Natick.

But what’s even more impressive is the remarkably creative ways the Ritz-Carlton has decided to use the apples.

Not only are customers greeted with several barrels of the freshest Galas, Honeycrisps and Jersey Macs, but they will also be welcomed by the warm scent of cinnamon and spices found in the hotel’s homemade ciders, doughnuts and apple pastries.

The establishment has put on an impressive showcase, and the idea is especially intriguing for those feeling stranded in the city, with little or no access to the great orchards of Massachusetts.

“As a person that can’t get to apple picking myself, I think it’s a great opportunity for people to be able to taste and buy freshly picked apples,” said Isabell Whiteley, a senior in Boston University’s College of Arts and Sciences.

The pop-up orchard is an easy, simple way to gain access to some of the freshest produce around, not to mention the mouthwatering pastries and warm apple cider. This experience is by no means one-dimensional.

On top of the crisp apples and the house-made goodies, the urban orchard also functions on a larger scale. In a Sept. 19 press release, Leslie Musser, communications coordinator at the Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common, revealed the deep-seated goodwill of the event.

“As part of The Ritz-Carlton’s Community Footprints social and environmental responsibility, partial proceeds from items sold in the hotel’s Apple Orchard will benefit The Food Project,” Musser said in the release.

The Food Project is a group that gathers volunteers to farm on about 40 acres of land in eastern Massachusetts. The organization then distributes the resulting produce in community-supported agriculture programs, farmers’ markets and local hunger relief organizations.

So if you happen to find yourself twiddling your thumbs one weekend with a deep yearning for the seasonal comforts of fall, grab some friends and hop on the T. The many delights of the apple-picking season are now just a short walk from the Boylston station.

For more information on the pop-up orchard, visit their website. For more information on the Food Project and the work they do both in and around Boston, please visit their website.