Crew & Rowing, Sports, Swimming & Diving, Tennis

Roundup: BU crew participates in Head of the Charles Regatta

Both BU crew teams accounted for six top-10 finishes at the Head of the Charles Regatta. PHOTO BY CARLY ROSE WILLING/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Both BU crew teams accounted for six top-10 finishes at the Head of the Charles Regatta over the weekend. PHOTO BY CARLY ROSE WILLING/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

This past weekend, both the men’s and women’s crew teams took part in the 50th anniversary of the Head of the Charles Regatta and combined for six top-10 finishes.

The Terriers finished eighth in Sunday’s highly competitive men’s championship eights race. The Terriers’ varsity and second varsity boats began in the middle of the pack of 36, but quickly maneuvered their way up front.

BU’s first varsity eight, coxed by senior Lauren Harvey and stroked by junior Vass Ragoussis, posted a time of 14:39.73, which put them in fourth among colleges, behind only Harvard University, the University of California-Berkeley and the University of Washington.

Racing in Saturday’s Club 8 competition, the men’s third and fourth varsity eights put up fifth- and seventh-place finishes, respectively.

For the women, the lightweight varsity eight boat led the way with a third-place performance. Coxed by sophomore Allison Triola and stroked by senior Carol Chase Peterson, the Terriers finished in 17:17.04. In the lightweight fours division, BU’s boat, coxed by junior Jorie Gorski and stroked by senior Brittany Murphy, came in sixth.

The women’s club four race saw the Terriers, coxed by sophomore Marlaina Miller and stroked by freshman Kelsey Farmer, finish in an impressive time of 18:53.19, good for fifth place in a field of 61.

BU women’s swimming and diving wins double dual meet

In its first double dual meet of the season, the Boston University women’s swimming and diving team defeated competitors from Bucknell University and George Washington University on Saturday in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

The Terriers won the meet with a total of 424 points to maintain its unblemished 3-0 record on the season. Sophomore Sarah Hargrave dominated her events, winning the 500 and 1,000m freestyle, with times of 4:59.74 and 10:06.86, respectively. Hargrave’s performance earned her Patriot League Female Swimmer of the Week honors.

Hargrave was not the only top finisher in those events. In both the 500m freestyle and the 1,000m freestyle, junior Stephanie Nasson and freshman Grace Anderson finished second and third behind Hargrave.

The Terriers also dominated the shorter freestyle events. Sophomores Lauren Dixon and Isabella Olivares and senior Alexsa Savage swept the top three places in the 100m freestyle. Earlier in the day, Olivares and Savage came in first and second, respectively, in the 50m freestyle. Junior Mika Spencer, Dixon and Nasson also went one-two-three in the 200m freestyle.

Dixon, Savage, Olivares and senior Katie Kenney then combined forces for a first-place finish in the 400m freestyle relay. The Terriers’ time of 3:33.65 was almost four seconds faster than the next best team.

BU also swept the top two places in the 200m and 100m butterfly.

In the diving competition, freshman Lizzie Tillo and sophomore Kalli Roebelen each won their respective events.

BU men’s swimming and diving finished second in double dual meet

Also in Lewisburg, the Boston University men’s swimming and diving team had a strong weekend, finishing second in the three-team meet.

The Terriers garnered 377.5 points, 31 points behind Bucknell.

BU opened up Saturday’s competition with a victory in the 200m medley relay. Seniors Connor Stuewe, Ryan Bach and Mario Caballero and sophomore Brian Habacivch posted a time of 1:33.53 edging out the Bison’s first team.

Stuewe won the 100m backstroke, and freshman Quinn Smith finished third. Stuewe won earn another win in the 200m backstroke.

The Terriers almost captured another win in the 100m breaststroke, but Caballero touched the wall one one-hundredth of a second slower than senior Ben Seketa of Bucknell.

In the 50m freestyle, Habacivch, seniors Cole Puchi and Lincoln Kupke took second, third and fourth, respectively. Puchi later won the 100m freestyle, finishing just over one-tenth of a second ahead of Bucknell senior Erik Heinemann.

BU ended the day’s events with a victory in the 400m freestyle relay.

BU women’s tennis competes at ITA Northeast Regional

The Boston University women’s tennis team continued its fall campaign over the weekend at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Regional held at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.

Junior and reigning Patriot League Player of the Year Johanna Hyoty led the way for the Terriers with her fourth-round appearance in the tournament’s main singles draw. After receiving a first-round bye, Hyoty posted close wins over Boston College sophomore Emily Safron and Brown University freshman Alyza Benotto before meeting up with No. 103 senior Hanna Yu of Yale. Yu took the match 7-6(4), 6-3.

Also in the main singles draw, junior Lauren Davis and freshman Iryna Kostirko each put up an opening win before falling in straight sets.

Competing in the qualifying singles draw, sophomore Barbara Rodriguez defeated sophomore Sitilia Rencheli of Quinnipiac University in the first round before being bested by Columbia University freshman Adi Milstein 7-5, 6-3. Juniors Kim McCallum and Madison Craft also participated, but lost in the first round in straight sets.