Krebs, Cuffia impress in Senior Day tilt

Senior forward Taylor Krebs scored her fourth goal of the season Sunday on Senior Day. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Coming off a 2-0 win over Colgate University on Oct. 22 , the Boston University women’s soccer team earned a valuable 3-0 over American University on Senior Day Sunday afternoon.

All eight seniors – goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi, defenders Ariana Aston and Kai Miller, midfielders Jamie Turchi and Katherine Lim along with forwards Dara DeMatteo, Ana Cuffia and Taylor Krebs – were honored before the game and helped the Terriers dictate the tempo throughout all 90 minutes of play.

Krebs in particular made her presence felt Sunday, scoring her second goal in the past two games and fourth of the season in the 25th minute of play.

“It’s just great to win on Senior Day,” Krebs said. “I was ecstatic. It’s always really nice to get one, let alone on Senior Day.

“We’ve definitely been focusing on trying to come out hard at the beginning of games instead of having to pick it up midway through when something bad happens. I think we’ve done that especially in these past two games and hopefully we continue to do that throughout the rest of the season. It’s helped a lot.”

Krebs’ play certainly hasn’t gone unnoticed, as BU coach Nancy Feldman acknowledged the aggressive style of play that Krebs brings to the Terriers.

“She’s played real ferociously,” Feldman said. “She’s being really aggressive in our attacking moments, creating them and then when a window is opened, she’s going for it on the edge.”

BU’s ability to initiate scoring opportunities hasn’t come from Krebs alone. The Terriers had 14 shots on goal from seven players and held the Eagles to zero shots on goal. Cuffia added five shots and assisted on junior forward Jenna Fisher’s seventh goal of the season in the 54th minute of play, putting BU up 2-0.

Against Colgate (12-2-2, 6-1-1 Patriot League ) last Wednesday, Cuffia had a shot on goal and assisted on freshman forward Christina Wakefield’ s score, helping BU earn a valuable 2-0 conference win.

Feldman couldn’t speak on the seniors’ legacy Sunday because according to her, it’s still being written.

“They play with a lot of joy,” Feldman said. “They’re very persistent, individually and collectively. It’s a grittiness with a lot of positivity.”

BU’s regular season is not done, as it will face off against Bucknell University next Saturday . A win in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania could give the Terriers a potential second seed and thus a first-round bye in the postseason.

“We need to keep this play up on an away field against a more potent opponent so that we really are going into the tournament at our best,” Feldman said.

I transferred to BU after playing a year of college hoops at Wesleyan University. Previous experience includes interning at the 7NBC-Boston (WHDH-TV) sports desk. I'm excited to cover women's soccer this fall for the Daily Free Press. Follow me here: @kfin2bu