Menino procession travels throughout city to Hyde Park funeral

Thousands of people throughout the Commonwealth paid their final respect to former Boston Mayor Thomas Menino Monday and stood on the streets of Boston as his funeral procession drove past several locations that were important during his life.

Menino’s procession made its way from Faneuil Hall early Monday morning, where he had been lying in state since 10 a.m. Sunday, to the Most Precious Blood Church in Hyde Park for his private funeral Mass at noon. After the Mass, he was buried in Fairview Cemetery, also in Hyde Park.

Current Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of State and former U.S. Sen. John Kerry, his wife Angela Menino and other family members, were among many notable faces during the Mass.

After leaving Faneuil Hall, the motorcade carrying Menino first went to City Hall, where he served as a city councilor and the longest-serving mayor in Boston. Then it went to the Parkman House, where Menino lived as mayor, and then to Kenmore Square and Fenway Park near Boston University, where he served as the co-director of the Initiative on Cities at BU after his tenure.

As Menino’s hearse rounded the corner of Commonwealth Avenue and Brookline Avenue, whispers of condolences and memories could be heard from the crowd that gathered to watch the procession. The motorcade’s route was lined with green signs reading “Thank you Mayor Menino,” and people of all ages gathered to watch their beloved mayor make his way to his final resting place in Hyde Park.

“He’s one of us, and we’re one of him, and we’re his people,” said BU Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore. “I think that’s fantastic for us, and it’s great that so many students were able to meet with him and to be here today to touch history just a little bit.”

While Menino left many legacies behind, Elmore said he will be most remembered as the person responsible for creating a clean government that “talked to people and that people can also talk to.”

“He really cared about the students of the city, whether they’re in high school or college,” he said. “And he had this grand vision for a way that they could, on a regular basis, come together, talk with each other, mentor each other and inspire each other.”

Christopher Strang, 43, of Back Bay, said while he did not agree with all of Menino’s policies, his character spoke volumes about his intentions for the city.

“He was always very genuine,” he said. “Some of his little funny gasps…showed that he was a real guy, not just a politician putting on a show, but he was a very real person that makes mistakes. I disagree with him all the time on a lot of things, but I know that in spite of that, you can really tell how much he loved the city and how much he was sincere in wanting to make it better.”

Alan Marshall, 44, a homeless man living at Pilgrim Trinitarian Congregational Church in Dorchester, said the former mayor was a big inspiration for many residents, including many homeless people.

“He even helped me out. I talked to him one-to-one,” he said. “He just was a very good-hearted person that really just had a heart for everybody. His loss is never going to be forgotten. It’s really, really deep. He was a really dedicated person to help the poor. I really miss him already.”

The motorcade also drove past the homes and businesses in other neighborhoods, including Dudley Square, Grove Hall, Bowdoin-Geneva, Mattapan and Roslindale, before ending at the church in Hyde Park.

Walsh began the Mass and welcomed the crowd of public officials, friends and family. He said they were all there to celebrate the life and legacy of a man who made history. Menino did not need fancy words to take care of the people, Walsh said.

“He didn’t believe in old Boston or new Boston. He believed in one Boston,” Walsh said. “The one he devoted his life to. That was the precious gift he left us. His limitless, undying belief of the city he loved. So I want to say, with all of Boston, for all of Boston, thank you Mayor Menino, from the bottom of my heart, with this gift. Thank you for caring for the people. Thank you for standing up when Boston needed you.”

Patrick chose to remember Menino for the good times, the funny times and the lessons he learned from his former colleague.

“Ten years ago, I went to visit Mayor Menino to ask for his support in my first run for governor,” Patrick said. “He said no. He was already supporting someone else.”

Menino shared his time and wisdom with Patrick, who said he had been a “political newcomer” at the time. The governor, whose term ends in January, reminisced about the time he had hip replacement surgery and Menino sent him a soccer ball, a jump rope and a note that said, “Quit faking it, get out of bed.”

“He seemed to make time for everybody, even a political nobody like me,” Patrick said. “He had a keen sense that the attention paid to them would make a difference. Make them stand up a little taller. Make them feel a little more at home in his city. Their attention to him was fuel for his work.”

Patrick had some words for Angela, who sat in the front row next to family and friends.

“Angela, I know your heart is broken. He told me once that his favorite thing in the world, even better than shopping, was to be home with you for dinner,” he said. “It seems especially sad that he would be taken just at the point when you got his undivided attention. I promise to be there for you, to help fill some small part of the huge void that his passing leaves.”

Menino’s family played an active role in the Mass, reading parts of the Bible and giving speeches to the crowd. Samantha Menino, one of Menino’s six grandchildren, said her grandfather was at his best when he was out with the people he loved.

Every time it snowed, they called and asked their Papa, as they affectionately called him, to cancel school, Samantha Menino said, and every time, he would remind them that many Boston children need the heat and food that they can only get at school.

“I couldn’t imagine life without being the mayor’s granddaughter,” she said. “Papa, we are so proud of you, and we are who we are because of you. I promise to continue to honor you and make you proud.”

Sekar Krisnauli, Ryan McDonagh and Samantha Gross contributed to the reporting of this article.