MBTA expands environmental efforts with hybrid buses

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, began servicing its first fleet of 60 hybrid buses Wednesday at Haymarket Square. PHOTO COURTESY OF MASSDOT

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, serviced the first fleet of 60 hybrid buses at Boston’s Haymarket Square Wednesday, a part of an effort made by the Commonwealth to bring cleaner, safer transportation to Boston.

The hybrid fleet, designed by New Flyer Industries, Inc., will replace older buses, complete with clean diesel engines, hybrid electric drive systems and a “Live Look In” security system that will monitor passenger activity, according to a Tuesday press release.

“These new hybrid buses will not only reduce emissions and improve gas mileage for the MBTA bus fleet. They will provide a more comfortable and secure experience for our customers,” said Beverly Scott, MBTA chief executive officer, in an emailed statement. “These state-of-the-art, fully-accessible buses will have improved customer information systems, better lighting and greater reliability.”

Passenger amenities include greater seating capacity, more exterior bike racks, energy efficient LED destination signs and a safer surveillance system monitored by MBTA police.

The hybrid systems will divert break energy and improve fuel efficiency with regenerative breaking and an engine-off feature, the press release stated. Nitrogen oxide emissions will also be reduced.

The buses will also improve Boston’s environment by increasing cleaner air and sustainability among the city’s population.

Lisa Tornatore, outreach coordinator for Sustainability@BU, said the hybrid buses will contribute to the city’s efforts of reducing GHG emissions by 25 percent by the year 2020 and 80 percent by 2050.

“The City of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have made great strides toward reducing greenhouse gas emissions and encouraging businesses and residents to do their part,” she said in an email. “Recently, the city was named one of the greenest cities in America, and it is only fitting that the MBTA’s fleet reflect that.”

“The Greater Boston area will obviously benefit from reduced emissions and perhaps even better air quality as a result of the new buses,” Tornatore said. “However, what’s great about adding hybrid buses to the MBTA’s fleet is that this brings sustainability onto the street in front of people. Community members will see that their commute options are getting greener.”

Several Boston residents supported MBTA and MassDOT’s transportation improvements, emphasizing the need for environmental improvement efforts.

“I strongly agree about bringing hybrid buses,” said Rayan Almathhur, 21, of Medford. “It would help the environment of the city of Boston and bring cleaner air.”

Franco Mormando, 59, of the South End, said Boston is improving working and living conditions by expanding eco-friendly transportation efforts.

“I greatly applaud this improvement,” he said. “It will have a big impact, and the city has to continue with this kind of eco-friendly improvement to its infrastructure in every way possible.”

Yassmine Hammoudi, 19, of Fenway, said these eco-friendly improvements will positively impact Boston’s future.

“Every city can take steps towards a cleaner approach of using things,” Hammoudi said. “Any eco-friendly move is a good one. Over time, it will make a difference.”

1. The accompanying photo for this article is somewhat misleading…it features MBTA Bus 1200, built FOUR YEARS ago, which is a diesel/Allison hybrid drive engine. It is a very different hybrid (function-wise) than the actual new buses, which will have a diesel/BAE Systems engine.