Arts & Entertainment, Features, The Muse

Sabroso Taqueria burrito, taco stand reopens as restaurant in Financial District

Sabroso Taqueria, a taco and burrito stand in Downtown Crossing that closed in 2008, reopened a restaurant in the Financial District on Oct. 28. PHOTO BY TAFI MUKUNYADZI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Among the tall office buildings that make up the business landscape of Boston’s Financial District, it can be easy to walk by a restaurant that is as tucked away as Sabroso Taqueria. Luckily, a clean white square sign with a bright red jalapeño pepper emblazoned in the middle hangs from a light post to show the way to Sabroso Taqueria 2.0, which reopened as of Oct. 28.

“[We] never wanted to close the restaurant,” said Andy Kolokythas, manager of Sabroso Taqueria. “But when Filene’s [Department Store] closed [in 2006], they kicked everyone out.”

Sabroso Taqueria used to be a taco and burrito stand located in Downtown Crossing, but was closed in 2008 when Filene’s Basement, a bargain store under the Filene’s company, was demolished and had yet to relocate. Now, the restaurant has reopened as part of the ZO Restaurant Group and picked up where it left off by cooking up quick, delicious meals for the businesspeople of the area — all at a lightning pace.

“Reopening the restaurant has always been in the works,” Kolokythas said, so the fact that the Sabroso has been “slammed” with business even though it’s been open for less than two weeks is an encouraging sign.

And after sampling Sabroso’s loaded steak burrito with everything but the beans and guacamole, it was easy to see why. The steak was tender and flavorful, while the crema balanced the generous amount of hot sauce. For those who like a little extra kick, there is a selection of red and green habanero sauces on the tables. Paired with a lime-flavored Jarritos, a type of Mexican soda, and Mexican pop music in the background, the experience was a lovely break in the middle of the day.

Sabroso Taqueria serves a variety of authentic Mexican cuisine, including the "Burrito Grande," which contains cheese, rice, beans, pico de gallo, hot sauce, crema, guacamole and a choice of chicken, steak, carnitas or shrimp. PHOTO BY TAFI MUKUNYADZI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sabroso Taqueria serves a variety of authentic Mexican cuisine, including the “Burrito Grande,” which contains cheese, rice, beans, pico de gallo, hot sauce, crema, guacamole and a choice of chicken, steak, carnitas or shrimp. PHOTO BY TAFI MUKUNYADZI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Sabroso’s menu offers tacos, quesadillas, burrito bowls and cups, salads and soups, as well as the Burrito Grande. The Burrito Grande comes fully loaded with cheese, rice, beans, pico de gallo, hot sauce, crema, guacamole and a choice of filling, which includes chicken, shrimp, steak, carnitas or simply beans and rice.

What makes Sabroso Taqueria stand out among other Mexican restaurants frequented by hungry Bostonians, such as chain restaurants Chipotle and Qdoba, is that everything a customer chooses to get in their burrito is included. Most of the items on the menu are between $6 and $9, and there’s no extra charge for something like guacamole, such is the case at Chipotle. Tax is already calculated into what Sabroso charges, Kolokythas said, so “final price is the final price.”

While Sabroso Taqueria is not a large space, with only six bar stools lining along the walls, its quick service makes it the perfect destination for those who want a satisfying Mexican restaurant experience, Kolokythas said.

“[The restaurant’s] most important thing is speed, even if there’s a long line,” he said. “That’s what separates us from other places.”