Field Hockey, Sports

Field hockey earns first NCAA Tournament bid in 7 years

Sophomore forward Taylor Blood’s seventh goal of the season proved to be the game winner Saturday against Bucknell. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS

This past weekend, the No. 20 Boston University field hockey team traveled down to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania to participate in the Patriot League Tournament. The Terriers left victorious as they beat American University Friday in the conference semifinals and then Bucknell University Saturday for the championship, earning their first bid to the NCAA Tournament since 2007.

“It’s a great feeling,” said BU coach Sally Starr. “Everyone worked hard for this, from the players to the coaches to the training staff. It’s an exciting moment.”

The Terriers’ (13-7, 5-1 Patriot League) first game of the tournament was against the Eagles (9-9, 4-2 Patriot League), who finished third in the Patriot League. This was the second time that the two teams met. The first matchup between both squads came on Oct. 24 when the Terriers travelled down to Washington, D.C. for the tilt, which they won 3-1.

“That [previous win over American] gave us some confidence,” Starr said. “But it’s a new game, and they are a special team. We were without [sophomore midfielder] Hester [van der Laan] who had a concussion and [freshman midfielder/forward Kali] Shumock was in Boston with an illness. We were depleted, but the team didn’t allow that to be a setback.”

The Terriers entered their game with only one substitute, sophomore forward Maddie McClain. However, BU still jumped out to an early lead. Sophomore forward Amanda Cassera opened up the scoring in the 10th minute with an assist from junior fullback Katie Bernatchez to give BU an early 1-0 lead.

American came back in the 17th minute with a goal from freshman Leah DiGiandomenico to tie the game 1-1. The Eagles had outshot the Terriers 5-3 by the end of the first half. Yet BU had a 2-1 advantage on penalty corners to end the half.

The Terriers responded in the second half, as sophomore forward Taylor Blood scored in the 40th minute to give the Terriers a 2-1 lead early in the half off an assist from junior midfielder Sofi Laurito. Less than four minutes later, Cassera scored again to give the Terriers a 3-1 lead in the 44th minute.

BU outshot American 11-4 in the second half and had more penalty corners in the half by a count of 5-2 on its way to a 3-1 victory.

After their victory Friday over American, the Terriers took on the tournament host and the top seed in the Patriot League, Bucknell (13-6, 6-0 Patriot League). The Bison were the only in-conference team that the Terriers lost to when the two teams met on Oct. 4 in Lewisburg.

“We didn’t focus too much on redemption or revenge,” Starr said. “We were coming in with a fresh start much like we did with American. We are very respectful of them [Bucknell]. We know that they’re a very talented team.”

Once again, Cassera opened up the scoring with her third goal of the tournament and 14th of the season off a penalty stroke in the 12th minute. The score gave the Terriers a quick 1-0 lead.

The Bison outshot the Terriers 9-2 in the first half, but trailed at halftime thanks to five saves from BU senior goalkeeper Valentina Cerda Eimbcke. The Bison also led the Terriers in penalty corners by a count of 7-2.

BU started the second half strong once again. Blood scored her seventh goal of the season after deflecting Cassera’s shot into the goal in the 40th minute. The goal gave the Terriers a 2-0 lead and some breathing room.

Bucknell came back with a goal of their own in the 49th minute from senior Amie Pritchard who was assisted by classmate Liz Wills. Although Bucknell outshot the Terriers by a 4-1 margin in the second half, the Bison were unable to score again, as the Terriers held on for the 2-1 victory.

“Everyone is excited,” Starr said. “We’ve proven that we can play with the best, and we are all confident. We’re definitely playing our best hockey.”

Alexander mainly covers field hockey for the Daily Free Press. On his days off, he catches up on playing basketball and soccer and cheers on the New York Giants, Knicks, and Yankees. He previously interned at the office of U.S. Senator Edward Markey.