Collaborative video wall installed in College of Engineering

Jordan Carter (CFA ‘17) interacts with the recently installed collaboration video wall at Boston University’s College of Engineering, which highlights ongoing research at the college. PHOTO BY MAE DAVIS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Prysm, Inc., a design and manufacturing company run by two Boston University College of Engineering alumni, installed a 10-by-6 foot video collaboration wall in ENG’s lobby for the college’s 50th anniversary celebration to supplement classroom learning in an interactive way.

Amit Jain (ENG ’85) and Roger Hajjar (ENG ’88) invented the video walls, which use high-definition and touch-screen interaction to allow users to present and share content and engage in hands-on learning, according to a Nov. 11 press release.

“For universities, businesses and governments around the globe, Prysm video walls are the solution of choice, delivering an unrivalled level of engagement,” Jain said in the release. “The collaboration capabilities of Prysm video walls set a new standard for improved learning, productivity and decision making.”

Kenneth Lutchen, dean of ENG, said the video walls fit with what the college represents for academics and innovation.

“Prysm video walls exemplify forward-thinking and innovative technology,” he said in the release. “[They’re] a great fit for our open and engaging culture of higher learning. The installation is remarkable and creates an immersive experience that supports the charter of the engineering school and advances the possibilities for learning.”

The video wall in the ENG lobby has presentation and editing capabilities for all kinds of content, but is being used to bring attention to ongoing research and pursuits of ENG, the release stated.

Christos Cassandras, a professor of electrical and computer engineering, said the wall is very useful and provides a welcoming entrance to the ENG building.

“Some of my research activities are covered in the current video running on the wall,” he said. “I have seen visitors stand around in the lobby and watch the video, which I think contributes to the visibility of engineering and of several important research activities we are pursuing. It [the wall] is the next step up from various touch screens scattered around campus, certainly [the ones] in the engineering buildings.”

Swapnil Bhatia, a research associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, said he sees potential in the video wall for future use within ENG.

“The wall is an effective tool for attracting attention to the research undertaken at BU,” he said in an email. “These sorts of displays, if used appropriately and curated well, can be effective channels for communicating science to the general public.”

Several students said the video wall technology represents a high standard of achievement and innovation in the college.

Adam Sonnenberg , a senior in ENG, said the wall’s presentation is interesting, but he is not sure what its practical applications will be.

“The technology is very new and engineers might not have a clear use for it today, but they will find one because that is what engineers do,” he said. “It [the wall] is a great example of what the engineering school strives for. I’m just not sure how it’s going to help students learn.”

ENG freshman Daniel Elman said displaying the accomplishments of alumni inspires students in their pursuits at BU.

“It’s great, representing BU alumni accomplishments at BU, keeping it in-house,” he said. “New students can get a glimpse of where a Boston University education can lead them.”

Paul Sliwinski, a sophomore in ENG, said he is glad BU can proudly display the work of its graduates.

“The video wall represents the success and innovation BU strives for,” he said. “It [the video wall] is a great addition to Engineering, as it can be used to display the work of students, as well as professionals in the field.”