Club Sports, Sports

BU Club Sports Roundup: Inline hockey drops overtime contest to Northeastern

Despite junior forward Nick Breed’s (No. 11) four goals, the BU club inline hockey team suffered an 8-7 loss in overtime to Northeastern University Saturday night.  PHOTO COURTESY OF BRANDEN BERGER
Despite junior forward Nick Breed’s (No. 11) four goals, the BU club inline hockey team suffered an 8-7 loss in overtime to Northeastern University Saturday night. PHOTO COURTESY OF BRANDEN BERGER

The information in the following Boston University club sport highlights was taken from the BU Club Sports Event Calendar from Nov. 10 to Nov. 20.

Tuesday, Nov. 11

BU club squash drops match against Boston College, 7-2

The BU club squash team started off strong, but ultimately fell to Boston College on Nov. 11 by a score of 7-2. The Terriers were able to gain two victories against the Eagles due to the strong play of senior co-captain Jack Chambers and freshman Joel Lavoie, but could not earn the victory over BC after dropping a few tight contests.

Thursday, Nov. 13

BU club squash falls to MIT, 8-1

The BU club squash team labored on Nov. 13 in Cambridge, suffering a decisive 8-1 defeat at the hands of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The lone bright spot for the Terriers came from junior Nicholas Carlson, who earned BU’s only win on the night.

Saturday, Nov. 15

BU men’s club soccer comes up short in conference tournament

The BU men’s club soccer team concluded its fall season by taking part in its annual conference tournament at Harvard University. The Terriers faced off against the Crimson in the first match of the tournament, and had to quickly regroup after facing a 1-0 deficit at the end of the first half. BU would respond in the final 45 minutes of the game, however, scoring the equalizing goal to send the match to penalty kicks. Despite the Terriers’ best efforts, they were unable to get much past the Crimson goaltender en route to the loss.

Things did not get much better for the Terriers in the third-place match against Northeastern University later that day, as the team was shutout by the Huskies en route to a 4-0 defeat, concluding a strong fall campaign on a sour note.

BU club ice hockey bests Endicott, 6-1

The BU club ice hockey team extended its unbeaten streak to five games Saturday night by defeating Endicott College, 6-1, at the H. Alden Johnson Rink in Hamilton. The Terriers were led on offense by junior forwards Taylor Parkinson and Matt Fineberg, who each registered two points on the night. Sophomore forward Mike Minarczyk also scored his first goal of the season against the Gulls. Junior forward Scott Woods and sophomore defenseman Ben Messick also made their presence felt on the ice, as both finished with a plus-4 rating.

BU club inline hockey stumbles against Northeastern, 8-7

In preparation for its final two tournaments of the semester, the BU club inline hockey team made the trek up to Dracut to face off against Northeastern University in a scrimmage. It was a back-and-forth affair, as the Terriers and Huskies traded goals throughout the game, with no lead being more than two goals. The game remained tied at 7-7 at the end of regulation, forcing both squads to move to overtime. In the extra period of play, Northeastern was able to capitalize and net the game-winning score in the 8-7 contest. Junior forward Nick Breed paced the Terrier offense with four goals in the tilt.

BU men’s club rugby finishes fall season with loss versus Coast Guard

The BU men’s club rugby team ended its fall season Saturday with a 42-14 loss to the United States Coast Guard Academy at the Irish Cultural Center in Canton. While the Terriers only finished their fall campaign with one win, the team will have time to refocus for the spring season, when BU will take part in the Beast of the East Collegiate Rugby Tournament and other contests.

The BU women’s club water polo team bested Northeastern by a score of 16-6 in a scrimmage match Sunday afternoon at the FitRec pool. PHOTO COURTESY OF PAGE WOOD.

Sunday, Nov. 16

BU women’s club water polo records 16-6 victory over Northeastern

The BU women’s club water polo team ended its slate of preseason scrimmages with a game against Northeastern University Sunday afternoon at the BU Fitness and Recreation Center. The Terriers started off strong, scoring three goals over the first few minutes of play, but the Huskies answered back with three unanswered scores to make it a 3-3 game after the first quarter. BU continued its impressive attack in the second quarter, entering halftime with a 7-4 advantage. The Terriers easily put away the game over the final two quarters, outscoring the Huskies by a 9-2 margin to seal the victory.

I spend my days serving as Sports Editor of The Daily Free Press, covering BU Hockey and finding more ways to worship Tom Brady. Previous experience includes covering the Red Sox and Bruins for WEEI.com and writing for South Boston Today. Follow me on Twitter: @ConorRyan_93