Campus, City, News

Boston University President Robert Brown to testify at later date before City Council

Boston University President Robert Brown, who was scheduled to appear before Boston City Council Tuesday to discuss diversity in higher education, will instead attend a hearing on Dec. 19 after reaching a postponement agreement Monday. PHOTO BY KENSHIN OKUBO/DFP FILE PHOTO

As the result of a Monday agreement between Boston University officials and Boston City Councilor Tito Jackson, BU President Robert Brown will attend a hearing about student and employee diversity on Dec. 19, two weeks later than the date originally set by the Council.

In a Nov. 24 subpoena, Jackson, who heads the Committee on Education, said Brown would be required to attend the Tuesday hearing or face arrest. Because Brown will be out of town for the scheduled hearing, the university filed court papers in the Suffolk County Superior Court Wednesday to request a postponement.

The motion stated that the subpoena is “an undue burden, is oppressive and was intended to harass” Brown, the Daily Free Press reported.

“A resolution was reached this morning, and we will withdraw the motion,” said attorney Lisa Tenerowicz from the BU General Counsel legal office at a Monday motion hearing at the Suffolk Superior Court. “President Brown will testify [before the Council] on an agreeable date.”

Appearing before judge Peter Lauriat, Tenerowicz represented BU with Vice President and General Counsel Erika Geetter, and attorney Lisa Maki represented the Council. Brown was not present at the hearing.

Before entering the courtroom, an agreement was reached between BU and the City Council. Both parties agreed to work on a written agreement about the upcoming hearing and file that information with the court.

Jackson said he is pleased to have a set date for Brown to attend the committee hearing.

“It’s absolutely critical that the institution that conferred the doctorate of Martin Luther King Jr. as its alumni, discuss its record about diversity from every level — from the highest level of administration, faculty and staff and students [on] procurement and practice as one of the largest universities in Boston,” he said. “It’s important to have open discussion.”

Vice Chairman and archives keeper for The Daily Free Press Board of Directors. Former news editor. I like data, politics, and higher education, but will write about anything.

1. Important ! Read the testimony from the Stenograph Record of City Councilors from the most recent Public Meeting of Boston City Council
    http://citystenographboston.blogspot.com/