Senior forward Dominique Badji selected in MLS SuperDraft

Joon_Lee_men soccer 14_c
Senior forward Dominique Badji had eight goals and four assists in his 2014 season before being drafted by the Colorado Rapids. PHOTO BY JOON LEE/DFP FILE

Dominique Badji, a senior forward on the Boston University men’s soccer team, was selected by the Colorado Rapids in the fourth round of Tuesday’s 2015 Major League Soccer SuperDraft.

Badji has played for Boston University his entire collegiate career and has 22 goals and nine assists for the Terriers. In his senior season at BU, he earned Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year honors and was selected to the Patriot League All-Conference First Team.

“He’s worked hard since he got here,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. “He had some injuries, and he overcame them. He’s very talented, and he does some things naturally that you can’t coach. He can take people on, his agility is very good, and he strikes the ball well, so he’s got all the tools to become a good professional player.”

The biggest goal of Badji’s 2014 season came in the Patriot League tournament semifinal, when the Senegal native knocked in a header in double overtime against the U.S. Military Academy to send the Terriers to tournament final.

This was one of Badji’s three game-winning goals of his senior season, along with another game-winner against the Black Knights and one against the U.S. Naval Academy.

Badji is the third Terrier player to reach the MLS under Roberts, joining Andy Dorman of the New England Revolution and Michael Bustamante of the New York Red Bulls.

Roberts said all three players bring a different skill set to the table.

“He’s different because he’s more of an attacking player,” Roberts said. “Andy Dorman was more of a passing player, and he’s had a long career, and Michael Bustamante was more of a number 10, a player that can control things and move off of people, but Dom can score goals.”

Throughout his BU career, Badji has put up impressive numbers. He was named America East Rookie of the Year in 2011 and then was placed on the Patriot League All-Conference Second Team in 2013 after scoring six goals.

Going forward, Roberts said Badji has the tools needed to succeed in the MLS.

“I felt, and I told him this today, that he just needs a chance to get into a club, and he’ll go far,” Roberts said. “I really believe that.”