Sports, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track and Field

Patriot League favorite men’s tennis starts season with win

Tennis_Courtesy_WEB
Junior Johanna Hyoty had victories in straight sets in No. 1 singles action before continuing her win streak in No. 2 doubles play. PHOTO COURTESY OF STEVE MCLAUGHLIN

The Boston University men’s tennis team had a strong start to its spring 2015 campaign, as it defeated Sacred Heart University 6-1 at the Track and Tennis Center Sunday.

Coming off a fall 2014 season in which the Terriers (1-0) traveled from invitational to invitational, BU had a dominant win at home over the Pioneers (0-2), winning nine of 12 sets in singles play.

Junior William Kwok was the star of the day for the Terriers as he was victorious in both doubles and singles action.

In No. 1 doubles play, Kwok teamed up with junior Stefan Lemire and defeated Pioneers junior Matt Dean and junior Brian Power, 6-3.

Kwok then went on in No. 1 singles play to defeat senior Justin Pagan 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 11-9, in one of the longest matches of the day.

Lemire competed in No. 2 singles play and downed Power again, when the Pioneer retired in the second set of the match after Lemire took the opening set 6-2.

The Terriers return to action Feb. 8 when they welcome Quinnipiac University to the Track and Tennis Center.

BU Coach Lesley Sheehan earns 351st win with program as women’s tennis emerges victorious

On the other end of the court Sunday, the Boston University women’s tennis team took care of business in similar fashion when the Terriers (1-0) took down the University of Rhode Island by a score of 6-1.

The win marked the start of BU coach Lesley Sheehan’s 30th dual season and also marks her 351st win with the program.

Sheehan is a member of the BU Athletic Hall of Fame for her work in the singles division when she played for the Terriers, when she was the highest-ranked singles competitor in the New England region.

Against URI (0-2), junior Lauren Davis continued her excellent tenure at BU with wins in singles and doubles competition.

The 2014 Patriot League All-Conference First Team Singles winner dominated in her matches, never losing a set in both doubles and singles play.

Not to be upstaged, the 2014 Patriot League Player of the Year and the 2014 Patriot League Tournament MVP junior Johanna Hyoty won in straight sets in No. 1 singles action before continuing her win streak in No. 2 doubles play.

Next up, the Terriers will travel to Hanover, New Hampshire to take on No. 63 Dartmouth College Friday.

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving take two out of three matches in meet

In its first action since Dec. 6, the Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both took two out of three matches against American University, George Mason University and the United States Military Academy Saturday.

The host Black Knights beat both Terrier teams, besting the men by a score of 168-108 and the women 159-139.

The men’s team took home a dominating win against American as they won 226-45 before dropping to the Black Knights. The team rebounded against George Mason to squeak out a 144-135 victory.

Helping the Terriers was the performance of freshman Garrett Chin. Chin claimed first place in the 200 fly and the 400 IM and was the only player on the team to earn two first-place finishes.

On the women’s side, it was a similar result as they dominated American 228-71, then beat George Mason 163-137 before falling to Army 159-139.

Freshman Lizzie Tillo had a strong performance for the Terriers as she placed first in the 1m dive and second in the 3m dive.

Terriers fare well in Four-Way Meet

In its most recent meet, the Boston University men’s and women’s track and field program hosted a Four-Way Meet against Delaware State University, the University of Massachusetts Lowell, Boston College and Sacred Heart University on Jan. 22.

Both teams had several winners across all categories, but sophomore Cameron Williams and senior Gemma Acheampong stood out amongst their peers.

Williams has been a leader for the Terriers all season, and he continued his winning ways as he escaped with a win in the 60m dash with a final time that was just .02 faster than the second place competitor.

Acheampong has been a constant force in her prolific career at BU, competing at a high level and setting school records like she did in the 100m dash at the 2014 Patriot League Championships with a time of 11.61 seconds.

This time out, she secured a first place finish in the 60m dash with a time of 7.66 seconds.

The Terriers also posted victories in the weight-throw competition, the pole vault, the 3,000m events and the 60m hurdles.

BU will hope to continue its recent success when it hosts the John Thomas Terrier Classic this weekend.