Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse hits the road for contest against Vanderbilt

LAX15_MichelleJay
Junior midfielder Ally Adams had four goals for BU against Siena last week.  PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team will look to build off its season-opening victory against Siena College as it makes the trek Friday to Nashville, Tennessee to take on Vanderbilt University for the first time since the 2010 season.

The Terriers (1-0) started their season strong as they pulled out a 13-9 victory in their contest against the Saints (0-1). The score was close for the majority of the first half as the Terriers took the lead 4-3 with 5:48 left in the frame on a goal by junior midfielder Ally Adams. Junior midfielder and reigning 2014 All-Patriot League First Team honoree Jill Horka also racked up three points with two goals and an assist.

BU coach Liz Robertshaw said she was encouraged with her team’s opening win.

“A big thing for us is just focusing on our gameplan,” she said. “We want to try and work on some things that we’ve focused on and try and get some good looks on cage. We want to continue to get more comfortable with everyone in the lineup against a very tough team.”

Adams led all scorers with four goals on seven shots, and redshirt junior Mallory Collins also contributed four goals in the victory.

Robertshaw said she was particularly pleased with her team’s ability to get contributions from multiple players.

“I think for us, we really have to make sure that we’re getting composed looks on cage and be aggressive on attacks,” she said. “I think Mallory can get some good looks. Ally can. We want Jill Horka to get some good looks. We want all of our attackers to score more goals in general. We really have to focus on following our game plan to get them the looks that we’re going to need to win.”

The Terriers have been forced to practice indoors as freezing temperatures and swirling winds have prevented outdoor play. Friday’s game will take place in Vanderbilt’s (2-0) indoors multipurpose facility.

Robertshaw said holding a majority of practices indoors has not drastically affected her team’s gameplan.

“We have gone over to Boston College for a couple practices,” she said. “It’s been helpful. We want to enjoy the fact that we’re in a warmer climate. It’s one of the warmest games we’ve played in the past few years.”

The Terriers will have their hands full against a Commodore (2-0) team coming off an impressive victory against Liberty University Sunday. Attack Kelly Chandler and midfielder Alexa Kunowsky had game highs with five goals apiece as the Commodores scored the game’s first eight goals and came out with a 20-10 victory.

Robertshaw said she came away impressed after scouting the Commodores.

“Kelly Chandler is a great player for them,” she said. “She’s a good cutter and a good finisher. [Attack] Mallory Schonk does a great job of feeding and leads the team with 14 points. We have to do our best to slow down a very potent offense. They’ve scored over 40 goals in two games. We have to do a good job of really trying to limit how many shots they take and how many looks they get on cage against us.”

Robertshaw also hinted at the weather and BU’s gameplan as two key factors heading into the contest against the Commodores.

“First of all, I think it’s staying focused on just getting settled into our game plan and playing,” she said. “It’s been an interesting trip down here. We’re dealing with some interesting weather that the south isn’t used to with some ice and some snow. This team is showing me that they can handle adversity. We want to bring that mentality to our game, compete and play a great game.”

Doug covers women's soccer and other sports for the Daily Free Press. When he's not doing schoolwork, writing, or being a social butterfly on campus, he enjoys playing the piano, or hitting the course for a round of golf.