Boston University Police Department notes increase in theft, alcohol violations

The Boston University Police Department has seen a rise in larceny during the spring 2015 semester, compared to statistics from the past several semesters. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY BRIAN SONG/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Over the course of the spring 2015 semester, Boston University Police Department has noticed an increase in theft and alcohol violations.

Scott Paré, deputy director of public safety for BUPD said theft has traditionally been a major issue at the university.

“Larceny is the highest crime. It’s usually something being left unattended,” he said. “Students feel safe, which is a great thing, but sometimes they forget they’re not at home and leave something of value out.”

Paré said those unaffiliated with the university are most likely committing theft because BU has an open campus and they know that students are not always careful with their belongings. To prevent this, BUPD seeks to better educate the community.

“A big part of what we do is education for our students, faculty and staff to not leave items unattended,” he said. “We do this through orientation, we do this through different PSA, public safety announcements, whether it’s on a billboard, the GSU [George Sherman Union] Link. [It’s] just to remind students and staff not to leave anything of value unattended.”

BUPD hosted “Safety Week” in the fall to keep students informed and safe and “Coffee With the Cops” at Pavement Coffeehouse Monday to talk to students about crime prevention, Paré said.

In addition to increasing awareness, BUPD places officers on patrol in areas such as the Mugar Memorial Library to discourage theft from happening, Paré said.

“Obviously, police visible presence is always good, so we do have officers walking around in as many areas as possible, such as during finals in the library area, you’ll see more officers in the library area,” he said.

On-campus larceny is not the only crime that has seen a rise in reports, Paré said. Alcohol violations and transports have also risen within the last year.

During the spring 2014 semester, BUPD issued 15 alcohol violations, Paré said. Thus far in the spring 2015 semester, alcohol violations have risen to 52, a 246 percent increase. Alcohol transports increased 14 percent from 129 from September 2013 to February 2014 to 147 from September 2014 to February 2015.

In the fall 2014 semester, 112 students were taken to the hospital for intoxication, compared to 89 in 2013, The Daily Free Press reported on Feb. 5, 2014.

Paré said although the number of alcohol transports have risen, the reason behind the rising numbers may not be all negative.

“Something I actually want to point out is that friends calling for friends has increased,” he said. “That’s a good thing because students feel more comfortable calling us … If someone’s in need of help to in fact call us so we can give them the necessary help.”

Paré noted an increase in bike theft during the fall 2014 semester and said it has been a recurring problem over the past several years, The Daily Free Press reported on Oct. 9, 2013. There were 21 reported cases of bike theft from August to October 2014.

Paré said due to the snow, bike and car thefts have not been as common during the spring 2015 semester.

“Bikes are pretty safe now,” he said. “There are not as many out there, so bike crimes go down. Weather has been our friend crime-wise this winter. Street crime, car theft all went down because if they want to steal something, they’re going to have to dig it out.”

Several students said there may not be much BUPD can do to curb campus larcenies and alcohol violations.

Hannah Mason, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said theft happens inside campus buildings because of the lack of alert systems.

“Of course outside they have the blue boxes that work well, but inside the buildings, they should have an alert system for if you notice someone taking something or if something of yours is missing,” she said.

Hanna Yang, a sophomore in the College of Fine Arts, said theft and alcohol violations may be linked.

“If you’re drunk and walking home alone, there’s a greater chance of you getting taken advantage of than if you were sober and made better decisions about walking home alone,” she said.

Liz Higgins, a sophomore in CAS, said on-campus theft is a result of students stealing from other students.

“I don’t know that there’s anything more that they can do more than they’re already doing,” she said. “They could arrest or obtain or get more people in trouble if they can catch them, but honestly it’s up to the students to keep their stuff safe and locked up and to try and be smart about alcohol.”

1. Well done! Nice work..

2. Nice work!