Dominique Badji signs with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer

soccerMichelleJay
Forward Dominique Badji scored eight goals for the Terriers in his senior season last fall and was selected 67th overall by the Colorada Rapids in the MLS SuperDraft.  PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Another former member of the Boston University mens soccer team will now call Major League Soccer home. Forward Dominique Badji, who graduated from BU in December 2014, signed a contract Wednesday with the Colorado Rapids.

Badji was originally selected by the Rapids with the 67th overall pick of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft and spent the last month-and-a-half in preseason camp with the team. Despite being selected in the back end of the draft, Badji impressed in camp and showed the form that caused him to accumulate 53 points for the Terriers in his collegiate career and earn Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year and Patriot League All-Conference First Team honors in his senior season.

BU coach Neil Roberts, who helped Badji develop as a player, expressed pride when asked about the Dakar, Senegal native signing with the Rapids.

Im happy for him. I talked to him last night, and hes very excited, but he has worked very hard and has come a long way since he came to BU,he said. He surprised [Colorado] and showed that he is a quality person who can fit in with the players right away. Im really happy for him.

In Badjis senior season, he took the Patriot League by storm and was able to score eight goals, three of which were game-winners, and add assists on four Terrier goals. He routinely could be observed terrorizing opposition back-lines with supreme strength and blazing speed, and he combined both to lead BUs offense in spectacular fashion.

Outside of his athletic ability and natural skills, Badji also showcased numerous intangibles that made him a complete soccer player. Under Robertsguidance, Badji honed those intangibles, began to better understand the subtle nuances of the game.

Dom said in his sophomore year that he wanted to become a professional, so we told him there are certain things he had to do,Roberts said. Hes going to have to do the little things to be seen, and a good coach will see that. Theyll understand that he does all those things, and I think thats what [Colorado] liked about him when they saw him play. Its a credit to him. Hes very disciplined.

Badji, who battled through several nagging injuries throughout his time as a Terrier, defied the stereotype of a lower draft pick. Oftentimes, high-profile names and selections earn MLS contracts, but through hard work and dedication, Badji now has the opportunity to make his name known beyond BU and the Patriot League.

One challenge facing him will be the fact that the Rapids roster already has established professionals with club and international experience. Rather than leading his teams offense, Badji will have to patiently wait for minutes on the field, all while learning from the veteran players around him. Roberts said this role change should not be a problem for Badji.

He understood right from the beginning that when youre a young professional, a freshman, or whatever you are, youre always on trial and trying to impress,he said. Dom understands that he has to work harder than everyone else to keep his spot, earn playing time and become a professional for a long time.

With a place now secure on the Rapids roster, Badjis dream of playing professionally is a reality. The Rapids’ first game of the MLS season is slated for this Saturday against the Philadelphia Union, and while Badji may not be guaranteed playing time, his story has just begun.

The dream is not over. Its just beginning for him and is up to him to make a career out of it,Roberts said. He has worked extremely hard and is very talented with some god-given skills.

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.