Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse takes victory over American in Patriot League opener

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team started its conference schedule off with a bang on Saturday, defeating American University, 13-5.

The Terriers (3-3, 1-0 Patriot League) got on the board first with a goal from junior midfielder Ally Adams 2:20 into the opening half. American (2-5, 0-1 Patriot League) knotted it up three minutes later, but the tie was short lived. Senior attack Lindsay Weiner and Adams added a pair of tallies for BU within 20 seconds of one another for a 3-1 lead.

After another Eagle goal, BU found the back of the net twice more thanks to a strike from redshirt junior attack Mallory Collins and Adams’ third goal of the day. Freshman midfielder Sarah Andersen potted one of her own and Adams scored yet again to give BU a 7-4 advantage going into the half.

BU took control in the final 30 minutes, holding American to one goal while scoring six of its own. Adams netted her fifth of the day while sophomore attack Taylor Hardison got her first goal of the season and freshman attack Mickenzie Larivee scored her first and second of the year as well.

Sophomore goalkeeper Caroline Meegan made 10 saves in the win and was named Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for her efforts.

Men’s lacrosse knocks off Colgate, wins fourth game of season

Keeping the ball rolling from its last win against the University of Vermont, the Boston University men’s lacrosse team defeated then-No. 18 Colgate University 18-11 on Saturday.

BU (4-2, 1-1 Patriot League) started the game down 2-0 after they allowed the Raiders (4-1, 2-1 Patriot League) to strike twice in the first five minutes. Sophomore attack Adam Schaal then scored three straight goals to gain the Terrier lead and scored once more after Colgate tied it again to give BU a 4-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Schaal kept up this pace into the second frame, as he scored his fifth and final goal of the game, a man down tally, just two-and-a-half minutes into the quarter. The Terriers added three more goals in the frame, including one from sophomore midfielder Cal Dearth with 25 seconds remaining to take an 8-7 advantage heading into halftime.

In the third quarter, BU outscored Colgate 4-2 to take the lead for good on two goals apiece from freshmen attacks Jack Wilson and Ryan Hilburn. Wilson finished the day with three goals, and Hilburn ended with four.

The Terriers put things away in the final frame, scoring six goals to Colgate’s two to cement the victory. BU’s win bumped the Raiders out of the national rankings and even earned the Terriers some votes in both the Inside Lacrosse and the USILA Coaches national polls.

In addition to the victory, three Terriers earned Patriot League honors for the week. Schaal was named Offensive Player of the Week after scoring five goals on as many shot attempts against the Raiders.

For the third time this season, Wilson was tabbed Rookie of the Week for his three goals and two assists that helped break a stalemate and assisted on the game-winner.

Sophomore faceoff specialist Sam Talkow not only earned conference Defensive Player of the Week honors, but was also named the NCAA Defensive Player of the Week. He set an NCAA record for the 2015 season for single-game faceoff wins and ground balls with 26 and 18, respectively on Saturday.

Women’s lacrosse falls short in loss to Denver

In its game on Wednesday night, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team lost to the University of Denver 13-8.

After being outscored 10-4 in the first half, the Terriers netted four goals to Denver’s (3-2) three. At one point, BU was able to pull within three goals with nine minutes to go, but couldn’t close the gap.

Collins led the way for BU with three goals, and junior midfielder Jill Horka contributed two of her own. Despite losing, the Terriers won 13 draw controls, while Denver got 10 and converted on four of eight free position attempts.

Nice girl, tries hard, loves the game. Judy covers men's hockey for The Daily Free Press. When she's not writing, she's quoting "Miracle" in conversations and living in a constant in a state of wonder at everything Patrice Bergeron has ever done. Follow her on Twitter at @judylee_c