BRA approves renovated apartment building at 1505 Commonwealth Ave

Partners Properties LLC, an Allston real estate agency, will renovate an underused five-story building into an 80-unit Brighton apartment complex at 1505 Commonwealth Ave., according to a Friday press release from the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The Board of Directors for the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved five development proposals at a meeting Friday, including new apartment units in Brighton. PHOTO BY MARY SCHLICHTE/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The developer will add 8,000 square feet to the building and expects a combination of studios, one- and two-bedroom units and one-bedroom lofts in the renovated building, the release stated.

The project is estimated to cost $9 million, and it is expected to create 37 construction jobs. Construction is projected to begin in the third quarter of 2015 and will last for 12-14 months.

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh has highlighted a need for new housing, and the apartment building at 1505 Commonwealth Ave. will help satisfy that need, said Nick Martin, director of communications at the BRA.

“That in particular [the project at 1505 Commonwealth Ave.] speaks to a need that Mayor Walsh has mentioned on several occasions and also a priority of ours in that it creates a decent amount of housing,” he said. “The mayor has a goal of creating 53,000 new units of housing by the year 2030. We really need everyone to chip in from across the city and encourage smart development and increase density where it’s feasible.”

The building that will be renovated is currently being used as office space, according to the project notification form submitted to the BRA on Jan. 5. The developers determined that a switch to residential use would be best after market research indicated that many tenants would choose to live at this location because of its proximity to a number of employers, such as St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Green Line, which provides access to Boston University and Downtown Boston.

The building’s urban design, in addition to the proposed development on the Lancaster and the Brighton Marine Health Center, will “revitalize” that area of Commonwealth Avenue and turn it into a desirable place to live, the project notification form stated.

Martin said the project has the potential to draw new residents into the city.

“It takes a building that is under-utilized at the moment and brings an influx of new residents and new tax revenue onto the city’s books,” he said.

Martin said the BRA is aware of the potential for increased traffic during construction and will work with the developer to ease the burden on the community.

“That’s something BRA works closely with the developer and the community to mitigate the effects of,” he said. “All large development projects need to have a transportation plan that addresses traffic concerns during construction.”

Partners Properties has outlined a construction management plan to cope with traffic demands, according to the project notification form. The plan includes a police detail and secure fencing to manage pedestrian and vehicle traffic, designated truck routes and the prohibition of construction workers from parking in residential areas.

When the complex is complete, the developer expects “comparable or less” traffic in the area, compared to current numbers, on a daily and peak-hour basis, the project notification form stated. In fact, the developer anticipates the number of average weekday vehicle trips to be reduced from 1,318 to 640.

Several residents said the revitalization of the Brighton area is a necessary step that they are happy to see the BRA taking.

Desmond Scaife, 21, of Fenway, said a renovated apartment building could be an efficient use of space for the area.

“There are a bunch of houses in that area, so maybe an apartment building would be a better use of space,” he said. “I will say that I do think Brighton is a neighborhood that could be improved.”

Michael Raymond, 26, of Fenway, said construction could be a problem, but one that could be managed by the city.

“During construction, traffic would be a problem. But it’s not like managing traffic is something the city has never handled before. It can be managed, but I do think it will get worse during construction,” he said.

Natalia Muniz, 22, of Back Bay, said the apartments could help keep students in the city after graduation.

“There’s always a need for new apartments,” she said. “It sounds like this place is going to attract young professionals and college students. Boston is trying to keep kids that graduate from college in the city, and a new complex in Brighton can help that.”