Going for Two: Preparing for Madness Part II – College Hockey

While most of the sporting world focuses their attention on college basketball this month, another form of March Madness is set to take place on the ice: the college hockey playoffs. With 16 teams playing for a spot in the Frozen Four at TD Garden, this postseason is shaping up to be a clash of major hockey titans. Here’s a look at teams with the best chances to hoist the trophy in April:

Michigan Technological University: Reaching the playoffs for the first time since 1981, the Huskies (29-9-2) face off with St. Cloud State University in the opening round of the West Region. In order to win its first title since 1975, Michigan Tech must first get through the Huskies of St. Cloud (19-18-1) and then most likely the University of North Dakota. The big problem for Michigan Tech, though, will be their lack of experience against tough opponents. With wins only over programs like the University of Michigan, not in the tournament, and the University of Minnesota Duluth, Michigan Tech will face a large uphill climb against two tough National Collegiate Hockey Conference opponents. While the Huskies played Minnesota State University, Mankato, the top-seeded team in the tournament, five times, Michigan Tech could only muster a hard fought tie and four losses. Prediction: The Huskies from Michigan Tech are dispatched by St. Cloud State in the first round.

University of Denver: The Pioneers (23-12-2) from Colorado prepare to do battle for the second straight year with Boston College. After being eliminated in the first round last year by BC (21-13-3, 12-7-3 Hockey East), Denver is looking to enact its revenge by sending the highly inconsistent Eagles packing. After amassing 23 wins and finishing third in the NCHC tournament, Denver is looking to continue its hot streak against the likes of both BC and the fourth-seeded NCHC champion Redhawks of Miami University (Ohio). The Pioneers are a sleeper team with the caliber and skill to knock off the Redhawks, even though Denver is still reeling from a 6-3 loss to Miami (25-13-1) on Friday. Splitting the regular season series with the Redhawks with two wins and two losses, the Pioneers have the recipe for success against tough teams and could find their way to the Frozen Four. Prediction: Denver’s Cinderella run ends with a loss in the National Championship.

Minnesota State University, Mankato: Winning the Western Collegiate Hockey Association championship and earning the top seed in the Midwest Region of the men’s hockey bracket, the top-seeded Mavericks (29-7-3) are seeking the first Division I National Championship in school history. Being ranked in the top three teams in the nation for a large part of the season, Minnesota State prepares for a seemingly easy first round matchup against the Rochester Institute of Technology. After RIT (19-14-5) comes the likes of either a dangerous University of Nebraska Omaha team that has key wins over the Mavericks as well as North Dakota (27-9-3) or Harvard University, fresh off its Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference title. Keep an eye on the top-ranked team from Mankato as it is poised to make a deep run in the tournament. Prediction: The Mavericks make it to the Frozen Four but are defeated by the Pioneers of Denver in the semi-finals.

University of North Dakota: The team that has held the No. 1 ranking in the country for the better part of this season, North Dakota, the second seed in the tournament, is looking to win its first National Championship since 2000. Backed by starting junior goalie and Hobey Baker Memorial Award Finalist Zane McIntyre, who boasts a save percentage of .929, North Dakota enters the tournament with one of the most balanced teams within the bracket. However, it has hit a small bump in the road recently as it lost twice in a row to both St. Cloud State and Denver University by scores of 3-1 and 5-1 respectively. Watch out for the strength of North Dakota to be on display this weekend, but do not be surprised if it continues its fall and sees itself out of the Frozen Four. Prediction: North Dakota gets its revenge on the Huskies from St. Cloud but sees its dreams of a championship crushed in the Frozen Four.

Boston University: Riding a five-game win streak and winning their eighth Hockey East Championship, the third-seeded Terriers (25-7-5, 14-5-3 Hockey East) are looking to get past Yale University and either the UMD Bulldogs or the University of Minnesota in order to reach their 22nd Frozen Four. In its first playoff appearance since 2012, BU is expected to make a run at what would be the program’s sixth national crown. Hobey Baker Finalist freshman center Jack Eichel leads both the team and the nation in points with 66, a school record for freshman, and spearheads the Terrier offense, which ranks most prolific in the nation (3.89 goals per game), along with his linemate, senior assistant captain Evan Rodrigues (57 points). Backed by junior goalie Matt O’Connor, BU has amassed 25 wins en route to the top spot in the Northeast Region. Expect big wins and a lengthy postseason from this group of Terriers, especially with the Frozen Four looming just down the road at TD Garden, where they are a perfect 4-0 this season. Prediction: The Terriers of Boston University win their sixth National Championship in a 4-1 victory over the Denver Pioneers.