Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse takes on struggling Yale on Wednesday

wlax10 Alexandra Wimley
Junior defender Remy Nolan tallied a hat trick in BU’s game against Navy on Saturday. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Searching for a win, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team will travel to New Haven, Connecticut on Wednesday to face Yale University.

The Bulldogs (4-5) are on a two-game losing streak, but the Terriers (4-4, 2-1 Patriot League), while hoping to capitalize on Yale’s struggles, pay little attention to the streak.

“We don’t really put a lot of emphasis on how our opponent’s outcomes have been in their previous games,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “Rather, we look at their tendencies, strengths and areas where we feel we can find success against them. We are coming off a tough loss to a conference opponent, and so our focus needs to be on how we can continue to get better and play the style of lacrosse that we want to promote.”

In every game Yale has lost, its opponent has scored first. BU has only scored first in three of its eight matches. Two of those occasions resulted in a win.

“To us, it doesn’t matter who scores first. It matters who scores more,” Robertshaw said.

BU has scored 75 goals this season, and Yale has scored 74, giving neither team an obvious offensive advantage.

The Bulldogs traveled to their past three games. Back on their own turf, they will be seeking a win.

Redshirt junior attack Mallory Collins extended her goal streak to five games against the United States Naval Academy Saturday. Collins leads the team with 21 goals, and junior midfielder Ally Adams, who also has a five-game goal streak, is close behind with 18.

Junior defender Remy Nolan scored a hat trick against the United States Naval Academy, bringing her goal streak to three games and her goal total to nine.

BU’s offensive success doesn’t extend far past those three, though.

“We are looking for continued production from those players and need our other attackers to step up and be more of scoring threats on the field,” Robertshaw said. “I feel we are a little one-dimensional right now, and that’s not a good thing moving forward in conference play.”

Yale’s goals are produced by a larger range of players. Their top scorer, attack Kerri Fleishhacker, has 13 goals. Three players have scored 11 goals, including seniors Christina Doherty and Erin Magnuson.

“Defensively, we can slow down their leading scorers of Magnuson and Fleishhacker,” Robertshaw said. “Offensively, we can play a solid game with multiple chance opportunities on net. My only concern going into the game is wondering how our players will react to adversity. Yale is a tough team who often throws a wrench into your game plan. Can my players adapt and adjust to find success?”

The Terriers have not been able to win more than two games in a row so far this season. Following the game Wednesday, the Terriers will face conference opponents in five of their six remaining games. Finding an approach that results in persistent success is a top priority for the Terriers.

“We are working with our leaders to address the consistency problem,” Robertshaw said. “It is something we know can happen during a season with all of the outside influences and responsibilities the players have. How can an 18- to 23-year-old stay focused while managing midterms, their family, what the media says about them and their personal lives? It’s a challenge.”