Lacrosse, Sports

Red-hot Jack Wilson emphasizes team over self

6MLAX_AlexandraWimley-0457 (6)
Freshman attack Jack Wilson averages 3.11 points per game and is sixth in the nation in rookie scoring. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Jack Wilson wasn’t supposed to come to Boston University. In fact, the Manlius, New York native was originally committed to play lacrosse at a school just over an hour west of his hometown — Hobart College.

Everything had fallen into place, and the freshman attack had found the seemingly perfect spot to spend four years earning his degree and playing lacrosse, a game that has become a crucial part of his identity.

“I walked around [Hobart], and it was awesome,” Wilson said. “I originally thought I wanted a small school by the water, and I fell in love with it and committed there.”

But then his recruiting process encountered an unexpected twist when Hobart’s coach departed for another job and Wilson was left to explore outside opportunities. Talks developed with several schools, the least of which came by way of BU coach Ryan Polley. After having his college plans turned on their head, Wilson committed to BU (6-3, 3-2 Patriot League) finally finding a program in a vivacious city.

“A lot of [my decision] had to do with the coaching staff,” Wilson said. “They always remind us that they recruited us to come here and that they wouldn’t trade us away for any other players. I really value that in them. Also Boston is a great city with so many connections and so many things to do. You can never get bored here.”

Come the fall 2014 semester, Wilson was officially part of the second-year program, enrolled in the Questrom School of Business and trying to make the most of his experiences on and off the field. He brought with him an impressive resume, too, as he scored a staggering 67 goals during his senior season in high school, led Fayetteville-Manlius High School to its first state title game in 21 years and earned a place on the U.S. Lacrosse Academic All-American team.

With a background of that caliber, it would be entirely understandable if Wilson felt as though he would become a staple of BU’s patient and powerful offense when he arrived on campus. However, he was keenly aware that playing time was not guaranteed by any means and that past successes meant little in college. If Wilson wanted to help write the history of his new team, he knew he would have to earn the right to.

“There was no expectation from me when I came in,” Wilson said. “I was actually really nervous and didn’t know a lot of the guys. It’s been a long road though, and I am excited to see where it all goes.”

As BU is now past the midpoint of its season, it is abundantly clear that all the anxiety was for naught. The freshman attack has exploded around the net, as he has posted a team-leading 28 points on 19 goals and nine assists. He has also been awarded the Patriot League Rookie of the Week award three times and is showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Despite all of Wilson’s personal success though, he is quick to quell any of the attention or spotlight that comes his way. He is far more comfortable taking solace in what his team is trying to accomplish.

“I try not to think of the awards or numbers too much,” he said. “Lacrosse is a team sport, and I have a lot of fun playing lacrosse, and my teammates do too.”

Hearing Wilson with such a level head may come to the surprise of many, especially considering that he has the keys to BU’s offense. With Wilson at the helm and showing spectacular grace with the ball in his stick, the team’s offense is currently scoring 12.33 goals per game and has managed to score 17 goals or more on three occasions.

This is largely because Wilson, who Polley regards as his “quarterback,” is as likely to fire a shot into the far corner as he is to pick out a teammate streaking toward the goal with a better shot angle. Yet, as impressive as the statistical measures are, Wilson provides his team with many intangibles that often go unnoticed and are just as important.

“He really helps us because he does so many things for us,” Polley said. “He can carry the ball for us, he can shoot the ball well, he’s a great feeder, he’s great on the ride and is good on ground balls. He does so many things for us and is just a super kid.”

Redshirt sophomore attack Sam Tenney, who often accompanies Wilson during man-up opportunities, echoed Polley’s sentiments about the freshman and said he is a special player with the ability to make spectacular individual and team plays.

“Jack is an incredible player and is only going to get better,” he said. “He helps make everyone around him better, and he’s fun to play with. A great player on the field and an even better kid off the field.”

While many other Terriers liberally offer compliments about Wilson’s red-hot start to college lacrosse, he is far more hesitant to accept the heaps of praise. With that type of attitude, Wilson is able to remain grounded and make plays like he did in BU’s 11-9 win over Bucknell University on March 21.

With the game tied up at four apiece, Wilson collected a feed from above the restraining line and had a prime opportunity to let loose his blazing right-handed shot. Instead, he disoriented the Bucknell goalkeeper with a fake shot and quickly dished a smooth pass down to sophomore and fellow attack Adam Schaal for an easy finish. In the blink of an eye, BU had grabbed the lead, all due to Wilson’s heads-up play.

Instead of opting for a selfish decision, Wilson found his teammate in a more promising spot and altogether illustrated his tendency to look out for others first and foremost. Although he is a freshman with physical gifts and loads of lacrosse talent, he would much rather not focus on that.

After all, if you bring up his personal successes, he’ll quickly cast them to the side and reiterate that what truly matters is his team adding to the win column every time they take the field.

“It all comes down to taking it one game at a time,” Wilson said. “It’s been our motto all year. You have to take it one play at a time, and it will all show on Saturdays.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.