Boston Marathon Museum to Open on Boylston Street

The Boston RunBase, an interactive museum and retail store, is set to open its doors April 16, according to a Thursday press release from the Boston Athletic Association.

The Boston Marathon RunBase, a facility for runners and a Boston Marathon museum, will open on Boylston Street in April. PHOTO COURTESY OF ADIDAS

The museum, which is a collaborative effort between the BAA, Adidas and Marathon Sports, will feature digitalized race results, an interactive trail, memorabilia from past races and athletic apparel, the release stated.

Jack Fleming, director of marketing and communications for the BAA, said the initiative aims to bring the excitement and importance of the Marathon to the public year-round.

“Everybody knows and can feel the excitement and enthusiasm on race week,” Fleming said. “But for those people coming to town, whether it be runners or simply visitors to the city, to be able to have some of that experience the other 51 weeks out of the year is going to be a big part of walking in those doors.”

The 2,000 square-foot space will be located at 855 Boylston St. Previously, runners have not had a singular space to buy gear, learn from elite athletes, prepare up for a run and clean up after runs, the release stated.

Visitors will be greeted by a tribute to the city’s response following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, a topographical representation of the course and a cast of the iconic Boston Marathon unicorn, Fleming said. The museum will not serve only as a place for viewing purposes, Fleming said, but also as a place to understand the meaning of the Marathon on a more personal level.

“Beyond that, [it will be] just a place for runners to go, hang out, meet other runners, immerse themselves in the memorabilia, see the exhibitions on display and really understand why the race is so special,” he said.

This initiative has been in the works for approximately a year. Fleming said the BAA, Adidas and Marathon Sports have been working in tandem with one another, combining their unique customer service and business values.

“Each of these has brought the best that it has to bear to produce this, and we’re not open yet, but we’ll been open in two weeks time,” Fleming said. “This is really an extension of our long-standing relationship. We’ve been with [Adidas] since 1988, and they have such an appreciation for this event.”

The three companies are working to create a calendar, Fleming said, including workshops, seminars and clinics at no cost for visitors. Showers will also be available for any visitors who want to go on a lunchtime run and leave their belongings at the museum.

Fleming said the initiative aims to inspire people of all ages to participate in any athletic event, whether a marathon or something else.

“We think that the way we’ve been approaching this is for this location to be an inspiration for the next generation,” he said.

Parts of the museum will recognize runners who have completed the Boston Marathon, but Fleming said walking through the museum will remind visitors that there will be a Boston Marathon for years to come.

“If you can’t do the Marathon, then start with small steps: short runs around the block, run out to the Charles River, maybe run a 5k, a 10k, a half marathon and maybe one day, you can run the Boston Marathon,” he said.

Several residents said the store will provide a good resource for runners as well as a fitting tribute to those affected by the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings that killed three and injured more than 260 people.

John Slack, 23, of Brighton, said the store will be a way to help the Boston community remember those who were affected by the bombings.

“It’s a cool idea,” he said. “It’s important to remember, and this could be a great way to reflect on past marathons.”

Corey Capoccia, 28, of Brighton, said the store is a good idea for runners and will provide something the city didn’t have before.

“It’s interesting,” he said. “I’ll probably check it out, and maybe they’ll have some cool merchandise or good deals you can only find at that store. Even though I’m not a runner, the clubhouse aspect sounds cool because runners don’t usually have places where they can organize and get together like other athletes, in terms of recreational leagues and that sort of stuff.”

Ashley Benisatto, 24, of Back Bay, said the store will help keep the marathon on the public’s mind.

“I usually only think about the Marathon around this time of year because it’s about to happen, but this will make the Marathon a more permanent thing,” she said. “It sounds like it could be a cool place for runners to build a community and hang out outside of the Marathon.”