Jury finds Tsarnaev guilty of Boston Marathon bombings, 30 federal counts total

Boston Marathon bombing survivor Karen Brassard speaks about the verdict of the trial of convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev outside the John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse Wednesday. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Boston Marathon bombing survivor Karen Brassard speaks about the verdict of the trial of convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev outside of the John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse Wednesday. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

On Wednesday, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, was found guilty of 30 federal counts related to the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and the days after. The bombings and violent confrontations that followed left four dead and injured hundreds of others.

Tsarnaev sat between defense attorneys Judy Clarke and Bill Fick, emotionlessly following along the verdict slip as Paul Lyness, a courtroom clerk, read from the long list.

In day 19 of trial, the jury convicted Tsarnaev on all 30 counts for which he was tried, 17 of which carry the death penalty. The deaths and injuries resulting from the crimes are among the factors allowing for the death penalty.

Among the charges were conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, the use of pressure cookers, pipe bombs and a Ruger pistol in a crime of violence, aiding and abetting, conspiracy to bomb a place of public use and conspiracy to maliciously destroy property.

The courtroom was silent during the reading of counts and verdicts per the request of U.S. District Court Judge George O’Toole.

“There’s to be no reaction. There’s no physical signs,” he said.

After Lyness finished, O’Toole reminded the jury that they are still active and requested they continue to refrain from social media, news coverage and discussion with anyone.

“It is important that you avoid discussion with other jurors,” O’Toole said.

Present in court were William and Denise Richard, the parents of Martin Richard, an 8-year-old who was killed when a pressure cooker bomb was detonated from a backpack placed outside Forum restaurant near the finish line of the Marathon. Also in attendance was Boston Police Commissioner William Evans.

Next week, the court will continue to a second phase of the trial, the “penalty phase,” where they will decide the fate of Tsarnaev, who sat stoic throughout the day’s proceedings.

Editor-in-Chief. Bostonian by way of Indiana. Excessive Instagrammer. Seltzer addict. Journalism junkie, storytelling fiend.

1. Wow, this article is well written and informative. Kudos to you Samantha Gross!