Students rally for men’s hockey team for Frozen Four semifinal

The Boston University men’s hockey team enters the Agganis Arena lobby for a pep rally and send-off for the Frozen Four. PHOTO BY ERIN BILLINGS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University Department of Athletics hosted a pep rally Tuesday in the Agganis Arena lobby to send off the BU men’s ice hockey team, which will compete in the Frozen Four semifinals on Thursday against the University of North Dakota at TD Garden.

Over 150 students attended the rally, which featured music by the BU pep band, cheers led by the BU cheer squad and speeches by coach David Quinn and several hockey players.

Shannon Keane, who is a member of the DogPound, said the student fan group helped organize the rally to raise excitement about BU playing in the Frozen Four.

“This is the first time since 2009 that we’ve made it [to the Frozen Four], so Athletics was in charge of this, but we were kind of told to get the word out,” said Keane, a junior in the School of Education. “It’s a pep rally, it’s to show spirit [and] it’s to get people excited about the fact that we’re going to the Frozen Four.”

Free food and rally towels were distributed to attendees, many of whom were wearing BU apparel and carrying signs with inspirational phrases.

Quinn expressed his thanks to those who have supported the team throughout the 2014-15 season.

“It’s been a special season so far, a magical year, and one of the reasons is from our fan support, from our alumni and certainly from our current student base,” he said in his speech. “It makes Agganis feel like one of the most special places in all of college hockey, and one of the reasons we’re in the situation we’re in is because of our devoted fan support.”

Quinn said the team’s successful season can be credited to the camaraderie of the team.

“I’ve been lucky to coach some great teams, and one of the things I’ve been saying throughout the last month is that we are a true team, and you don’t get to this point without guys caring for each other, playing for each other, and not only wanting to win for each other, but they want to win for everyone associated with BU,” he said.

Team captain Matt Grzelcyk said he is thankful for the chance to play at TD Garden multiple times throughout the year and for the support from members of the audience.

“You’ve made it a really special year for us,” said Grzelcyk, a junior in the College of Communication, in his speech. “We’ve also had a great season at the Garden. What a dream that’s going to be to have that weekend there, so we’re definitely going to rely on you guys.”

Fifth-year player Anthony Moccia explained his passion for hockey and some of the experiences he’s had with the team.

“Every guy here, from the coaches down to every player, hockey’s in our blood. It’s in our soul. We love this game, we love this sport, and to be recognized and applauded for something that you love is the greatest feeling in the entire world,” said Moccia, a graduate student in the School of Public Health, in his speech. “We can see you BU, we can hear you BU and we can feel you BU, and we’re going to need to feel that in the Garden this weekend to win a National title.”

Students in attendance had the opportunity to participate in a raffle to get tickets to the semifinal and championship game. A total of 12 tickets were raffled off.

Several students said the rally got them excited about the Frozen Four.

Connor Kalafsky, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he attended the event to celebrate the Terriers’ successful season.

“I’m here to celebrate BU’s victories thus far. It’s been a complete turnaround from the past two seasons. We’re in the Frozen Four. It’s awesome,” he said. “I’m excited to hear Coach Quinn address everyone, and I’m getting ready for Thursday, and hopefully a National Championship as well.”

Jeanine Duchaney, a freshman in the Questrom School of Business, said she went to the pep rally looking for school spirit.

“I’m hoping to get the extra tickets, I’ve only missed two home games this season, and I went to Beanpot and everything else, so I feel like I deserve[d] it,” she said. “The reason why I love hockey is the school spirit. If there’s any place at BU where you’re going to find school spirit, it’s going to be hockey, and nothing’s more spirited than a pep rally.”