Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse strives for third straight win against Colgate

wlax_AlexandraWimley_2-25-15 (48 of 81)
Junior defender Remy Nolan is third on the Terriers in goals with 11. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

On Wednesday, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team will try to earn its third-straight win when it squares off against Colgate University at Nickerson Field.

Colgate (6-5, 3-2 Patriot League) has been inconsistent in its game play. The Raiders only let up four goals against the United States Naval Academy on March 28, serving Navy (10-3, 4-1 Patriot League) its only Patriot League loss this season. However, earlier in the season, a struggling College of the Holy Cross team scored 12 goals against the Raiders on March 7. Holy Cross (3-10, 3-3 Patriot League) had yet to score more than 10 goals in a game before its victory over Colgate.

BU coach Liz Robertshaw said the Terriers (6-5, 4-1 Patriot League) are more focused on their own play rather than worrying about the Raiders.

“We have to focus on us to be honest with you because we’re a team that is also inconsistent at times, and I think we are addressing it,” she said. “We’ve worked on some things at practice so that we have more of a competitive mindset. We just have to make sure we focus on our game plan, how we want to play and really our effort going forward.”

Closing in on the end of the season, the Terriers have stepped up their game. BU beat Lafayette College on March 28 and earned another conference win Saturday over Lehigh University.

“Against Lehigh, we were very disciplined on both offense and defense,” Robertshaw said. “Attack, we did a great job in the first half setting up the looks we wanted to in order to score in ways that we’re comfortable with. On the defensive side of things, we played great defense. To hold a team like that to five goals I think was a great job. Same with Lafayette. We got better defensively. We are doing some nice things. We just need to make sure we continue to build on that.”

The average number of shots a game for the Terriers this season is 23. In the past two games, the Terriers have tallied an average of 27.5 shots a game.

This season, the Terriers have won 51.7 percent of draw controls. In the past two games, they’ve won 60.5 percent.

“[Junior midfielder] Jill Horka has been fantastic on the draw,” Robertshaw said.

BU has also greatly improved how many turnovers it commits a game. In the first nine games of the season, the Terriers gave up an average of 16.22 turnovers a game, while in the past two games, they’ve only given up an average of 13.

Redshirt junior attack Mallory Collins continues to lead the team in goals with 28, junior attack Ally Adams has scored 20 goals this season and junior defender Remy Nolan is third on the Terriers in goals with 11.

Freshman attack Avery Donahoe scored her first college goal against Lafayette on March 28 and scored two more against Lehigh on Saturday.

Robertshaw said she is optimistic about the rest of the season.

“Defensively, you’re going to see huge things from [sophomore goalkeeper] Caroline Meegan,” she said. “She’s playing really well in cage. She had a big plays this past weekend both in saves as well as ground balls, and she’s really setting the tone for the defense, which is great. Jill Horka getting draw controls has been fantastic. You’re seeing our middies and attackers doing more things. You’re seeing Remy Nolan come up with big goals, Ally Adams. Avery Donahoe is a freshman coming and getting some points.”

With the progression of the season, Robertshaw said she is pleased with the way more players have stepped up and scored.

“I’m so happy that we’re seeing more players step up consistently,” Robertshaw said. “The defense all year has done some really nice things. It’s been fun watching them get better and better.”