Community, Features

To CFA seniors, fostering community of artists seems mobile cause

Courtney Teixeira (CFA ‘15) and Sophia Michael (CFA ‘15) build the supports for an experimental art space they are building in the back of a moving truck, which will kick off in Boston Sunday. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

There are over 100 institutions of higher education in the Boston area. However, this high concentration does not guarantee a bond between students of different colleges. Sophia Michael and Courtney Teixeira, both seniors at Boston University’s College of Fine Arts, feel as though there is a lack of community between these schools. This especially poses a problem in the art world, they said, as it thrives on the collaboration between artists.

As part of an effort to bridge this gap, Michael and Teixeira created Here & There, an experimental art space that will travel around Boston for a week, starting Sunday. To facilitate that traveling, the artwork, which comes from a variety of artists from schools in and around Boston, will be showcased in a truck with extended walls. While visitors will not be able to physically enter the space, the gallery will be visible from the outside and will adapt to its various locations around Boston.

“The full purpose of Here & There is to provide a common ground to different art students,” Michael said. “We’ve centered on working to connect different art schools in Boston, because there isn’t a full sense of community that exists between the schools right now.”

Teixeira had the same concern about the college art community and emphasized the importance of giving these artists a place to share their work with one another and the general public.

“The goal of this project is to connect emerging artists in Boston and give them an alternate space to showcase their artwork, because there aren’t many out there,” she said. “We wanted to expand the idea of a traditional gallery space.”

The idea of a moving gallery is quite unusual, but, according to CFA senior Liz Morlock, it fits into the growing movement of artists taking back control of the art market.

“There’s been a large push against structures that are already in the art world, like galleries,” said Morlock, whose mixed media painting will be featured in Here & There.

“There are a lot more artist-run spaces, and [these artists] are trying to take back control of the art market. Right now, it’s not really in the artists’ hands at all. It goes through everybody else, and you’re just hoping that someone’s looking out for your best interests. It’s nice taking control of your own future, and being able to make these things for yourself.”

Morlock also expressed her gratitude for the artistic and career opportunities provided by Here & There.

“Especially when you’re a senior in an arts program, it’s really daunting to think about galleries and shows and what you’re going to do next,” she said. “The art world is very difficult. You have to tap into it. It’s a lot of networking and working to build a community. The fact that they’re [Michael and Teixeira] taking the initiative to build the community themselves is amazing.”

In addition to student artists, Here & There has also garnered support from the university. The BU Arts Initiative is throwing a launch party for the opening of the gallery, and has also helped Michael and Teixeira advertise the event to the public.

“It’s of interest to us,” said Ty Furman, the managing director of the BU Arts Initiative. “This is going to go out around the city, so it helps BU because our name is out there. These are Boston University students who are doing this project and connecting with communities. For us, it’s about helping students do something … It’s just a fun idea, the whole truck thing.”

Both Michael and Teixeira hope that spreading the word about BU’s efforts will attract students from other schools as well, contributing to that aim of growing the bond between students of various art schools.

“Different students will get to know each other, at least the students in the exhibition,” Michael said. “Even just creating that little network would be good … Hopefully it’ll create some lasting relationships. That’s the goal.”

And these lasting relationships might lead to a bright and prolonged future for Here & There. The project has already caught the eye of other schools in the area, Teixeira said.

“There’s interest in passing the project along from school to school each year,” Teixeira said. “Maybe next year, SMFA will take over the project and maybe the following year, MassArt [Massachusetts College of Art and Design]. It’s not a BU-centered idea of wanting to branch out. It’s everyone wanting to get involved in their own way.”

The Here & There gallery will open on Sunday on Cummington Mall.